A Sad Day For Russian River Brewing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWorld

Reaction score
A particular batch of beer has been pronounced dead...It's a seasonal. An accident happened at the brewery.

Now we all shouldn't feel so bad when we produce one bad batch from time to time. Even the industry professionals have a bad day at the office.

It even happens to world famous professional hopheads :)

I assume you mean they had to dump a batch that went bad???

If so, good for them..... I have had more than one batch of beer from breweries that did NOT pronounce it dead - and they should have.

Good for them.

I remember watching an episode of Brewmasters (Dogfish Head) where the 120 Minute IPA they were brewing did not taste up to par. Wasn't even dead beer. And they flushed it. They decided that their reputation for delivering a quality product was more inportant than saving the batch. So, there was no 120 Minute IPA for either 2010 or 2011. I forgot which year it was. But I'm pretty sure it was one of those years.

"I am very sad to report that we will not be releasing this year’s batch of HOPFATHER IPA. We had a stuck fermentation which led to some very off flavors. Vinnie and I tasted it this morning and decided it was clearly not to our quality standards. Not even close! I was hoping to release it tomorrow on Vinnie’s birthday . We should, however, be able to squeeze in another batch in the coming months- stay tuned."

I'd be interested to know the causes of the stuck ferm. Temp malfunction??

Good for them.

I remember watching an episode of Brewmasters (Dogfish Head) where the 120 Minute IPA they were brewing did not taste up to par. Wasn't even dead beer. And they flushed it.[...]

I was appalled at how much beer DFH dumped during that series. That epic 120 fail was one of three batches that they flushed...

Cheers!

I was appalled at how much beer DFH dumped during that series. That epic 120 fail was one of three batches that they flushed...

Cheers!

They could have still bottled it, slapped a different label on it, and sold it to a foreign market. Happens to Superbowl losers all the time with merch. ;)

Back