A quick intro and a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracebustin

Reaction score
Hello from Boston! I'm new to brewing, but after dipping my toe in with a Mr. Beer kit (West Coast Pale Ale), I'm jumping right in. I've got a cider that was just bottled, another cider fermenting, a mead fermenting, and I'm bottling my first extract brew tonight, a wheat beer. Honestly, it's been a while since I've been as excited about something as much as I am about this. Can't wait until next week (maybe?) when I get to start drinking it!

Here's my question. The beer from the Mr. Beer kit turned out pretty good, but it is really sweet. Do you think this is from using a kit? It came with a big chunk of sugar that was melted down to add to the extract. I know when yeast eats the sugar, it converts it to alcohol and the sweetness goes away, so maybe I didn't let it ferment long enough?

How long did you let it ferment? Do you own a hydrometer to take gravity readings? Keep the bottled brew at or around 70 and it still may take 3 weeks or so(probably not with the wheat beer but still may).

Hey all. I'm a noob to the brew seen well i have done several DIY Kits now and they have turned out great!!!!! full body nice malty taste well carbonated. Now i want to create my own style. I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for a nice tasting Canadian Lager using extract. I'm not fully equip to mash yet and that would be my next stepping stone in the brewing world.

Welcome both new brewers.
daniel - Are you aware of the more involved requirements for fermenting a lager? Long fermentation times and colder temperatures, probably requiring refrigeration. There are some ale yeasts (Nottingham is one) that can be fermented colder than most and are said to produce a lager-like flavor in a reasonable time.

ncbrewer said:
Welcome both new brewers.
daniel - Are you aware of the more involved requirements for fermenting a lager? Long fermentation times and colder temperatures, probably requiring refrigeration. There are some ale yeasts (Nottingham is one) that can be fermented colder than most and are said to produce a lager-like flavor in a reasonable time.

The wait is not a issue for i have a pipeline with the kits i haved made. having a total of 20 cases give or take a few bottles lol 16 with are in glass bottles and 4 in reusable bottles. The lower temp should not be a problem for me cause it is winter months here and i can use a spare room for fermenting, with the heat turned off and using a heating pad to help control it im also using a 6.5 gallon bucket with an airlock and a 12" stemed thermometer placed in the lid i find it works better then the ones you stick to the side of the bucket, giving a better reading of the temp inside. Thanks for the info on the yeast ill be checking into that and happy brewing!!!!!

Back