A question on fermentable sugar levels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefbandit

Reaction score
Hey all
I am trying a batch of apple blackcurrent wine from store brought juice, have made sure it has no artifisual anythings, an am using red wine yeast with nutrients. The juice label says 25.5% sugar, would i assume they are fermentable sugars? also did a beer hydrometer test which only goes to 1040 it went past that, to what looked like around 1060 ish. would this be around what 25.5% sugar would put it at?

Am going for around 12 to 15% APV,
If i need to add sugar would beer dextros work the same as it does in beer?

Thanks for any help

Yep, I assume they're fermentable unless its a low calorie diet drink or something. dextrose is good. Since you don't have a useful hydrometer at hand I suggest you use a calculator like the one on GotMead to calculate how much dextrose you need for an extra 60 gravity points or so.

Awsome, yip not diet or anything its sposed to be real juice no additives etc, on the box of dextros it has written 1kg= 5% for a 23L brew so ill work from that. On brew calculator it says 1060 (which im assuming the juice is) will ferment to be around 8.9% so i really only need 1kg of dextrose for a 23L brew to make 13.9%?????
hope my math is correct.

Oh and is dextros better for wine than sugar, i could use normal sugar if its better?

cheers for the help. MK

Instead of guessing percentages, just make a batch and get the OG where you want it. All simple sugars are fermentable, so just don't use juice with splenda or chemicals like that.

Thanks yooper, is there a culculator out there that would give you an OG from a percentage of sugar in the fluid?

Latest posts

Back