A question never asked before

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norwaybrewer

Reaction score
I have added sugar to my fermenter after fermentation started.

I brewed a lager (ale yeast..) kit with about 900 grams of table sugar (not corn). I knew it was too little as per the instructions (1 kg), but i had it all going already with the boil and everything.

Did not have the hydeometer as it had just been broken, but gravity was probably around 1.036.

Now, here is the tricky part. After a week i added 250 grams of muntons brew enhancer. Its half dextrose half malt extract i think.

Final gravity after three weeks in fermenter 1.010.

Now, the question. What is my alcohol percentage??

I cant just plug the assumed 1.036 and 1.010 into the calculator, as the 250 grams i added must be taken into account. Anyone care to take a in the ballpark guess?

I dont expect albert einstein to give me the full answer, just someone to point me in a direction of some sorts.

I just want to hear that my alcohol is more or not much less than four...

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Home Brew mobile app

How did you figure gravity was around 1.036 without a hydrometer? Was that based on the kit instructions? If this was an extract kit, let us know the full list of fermentable ingredients and batch size and we can figure out an effective OG. Then we can figure out ABV pretty accurately.

#1: trust me, this has been asked before ;)

#2: DME adds about 1.044 points of gravity per gallon per pound and sugar adds about 1.046. This means you can assume that you added about 1.045 gravity points in 1 gallon of wort for each pound of 'brew enhancer.' You should be able to calculate alcohol % from here.

Stupid title, i know! But at least i got some answers :D

Yes, the kit said 1.040, but i added only 900 grams of sugar, so i just took a wild guess of 1.036...

It was an extract kit. One can of liquid malt extract, "regular" size (1.5 kg maybe??), and 900 grams of table sugar, 125
grams dextrose and 125 grams of DME.

Sorry, even though i got that information i still couldnt figure out the abv!! Still have hopes though :)

Thank you for replying!

Do you think its possible to calculate??

If I learned anything from Calculus: it is you can calculate anything from everything, and sometimes from nothing.

Using the logic you used to arrive at 1.036, 250g would bump it by .010 points in your OG, in Saturday night-at-the-bar theory. No your FG is going to depend on your fermentable sugars. If the FG is 1.010, your ABV should be 4.7%.

I hope this makes sense to me in the morning.

Approx 5% abv given a 19L batch. I just took all your fermentables and plugged them into a brewing recipe app I have and it said the OG should have been 1.048 for a 19L batch. I then used an attenuation/alcohol calculator to find the abv given your 1.010 FG. Hope that helps ya out.

I dunno, lol. It depends on how much volume of liquid you have. If you add 250g to a fermenting pint then your ABV would be very high. If you add the same amount to a 100 gallon vat, then it would go unnoticed.

I have approximately 21 liters.

Thank you, i am happy that it seems to be sonewhere above 4 %.

Og extract batch 1.040 100 grams of sugar in 5 gallons short is 1.0023 = 1.0383
Plus 250 grams is .0045 so 1.0383 + 1.0045 = 1.0427 ish

Your beer is approximately 4.3% ABV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

But with 21 liter probably closer to what you said 4%, I take it you did similar calculations?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Wow, thats a good answer!

Gotta learn how to do that. Right after i finish these bottles of homebrew;)

Back