A new way to clean carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted a link that proved bad..cant find a good link to it. Basically, take a Scotch-Brite sponge (green pad on one side, yellow sponge on the other), and cut it in half. Then using scissors, slice an opening just under the green pad and insert a rare earth magnet in to each half. Put solution in the jar, and with green pads of each sponge facing each other, slide the sponges over the top lip of the jar.. The magnets hold the 2 sponges together, allowing you to "scrub" the inside of the jar.. Pretty cool!

Or you could try one of these:

790950000303C.jpg

http://www.petco.com/product/9683/Mag-Float-Floating-Magnet-Aquarium-Cleaners.aspx

Sometimes I let my carboys sit for weeks after racking to kegs... oxi-clean overnight and a quick brush out does the trick.

However, this sounds like a cool way to get a sponge stuck in there, lol.

Sometimes I let my carboys sit for weeks after racking to kegs... oxi-clean overnight and a quick brush out does the trick.

However, this sounds like a cool way to get a sponge stuck in there, lol.

I've learned to rinse and clean my carboys as soon as I empty them. It saves time, is effective, & avoids the need for extreme measures.

2 tablespoons of OxyFree, fill with temperate water (so you don't shock the glass), let sit for a few hours to overnight, depending on how crusty it is and how lazy you wanna be.

I almost never need to use a carboy brush, even with really crusty glass (like from a chocolate stout). Usually a thorough rinsing yields a totally clean result, then a couple of ounces of Star San mix swirled around will cut any hazing from the Oxy if it happens (doesn't usually)...

Cheers!

I've learned to rinse and clean my carboys as soon as I empty them. It saves time, is effective, & avoids the need for extreme measures.

I try to do the same, but even if I let it sit a couple days it only takes a quick brush and rinse before I fill it with hot Oxy solution. Let it sit overnight, pour out, rinse, and it's good to go for the next batch.

Ice cubes and a little water knock it out of the park for me in a matter of seconds. Scrubs the grime, won't scratch the glass. Works great on coffee pots when you forget to turn them off and the auto shut off time no longer works either.

Trick also works great on those pesky sanke kegs.

Very nice ! .. I've never had a terrible problem with crud in my carboys , but even a little time spent scrubbing with a ****ty stock kit brush sucks .. Def need to try this

I use 70% oxy, 30% TSP, 1 oz per gallon. Works great every time. Even if I don't get to it until the next day.

Thats pretty wicked. I used to have a brush that I inserted in a drill that did a solid job. As of late, some PBW and hot water with a good soak for an hour, followed by a brush to get whats left of the sides off (takes a few minutes tops) and the carboy is brand new.

If you arent game for letting it soak though, that is a solid method.

Back