A little too sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naristov

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to this site and new to homebrewing (I did a few batches with MrBrew a few years back and now moved up to partial mash in a 5 gallon bucket). I just tasted a sample of my first brew before bottling (An Irish Stout) and it tasted a little too sweet. I do not have OG or FG (mostly because im an idiot). I was just wondering what possible reasons for the sweet taste. My thoughts are

1) The stove I have does not bring to a "hard" enough boil for the hops? (I didn't have a way to read the temp either).

2) I didn't use a starter for the yeast and or didn't put enough o2 in while pitching.

3) Fermentation wasn't done? It was in for about 4 weeks there was signs of airlock activity within the first 24 hours but stopped after about 48. (I know this isn't an accurate way to judge)

I plan to make a heat stick to help with the boil or possibly doing it in two smaller pots.

6 lb. Dark liquid malt extract, 4 oz. Chocolate Malt, 4 oz. Caramel 10L, 4 oz. Roasted Barley, 4 oz. Flaked Barley specialty grain, 1 tsp. Gypsum, 1/2 oz. Nugget, 1 oz. Willamette pellet hops, yeast, priming sugar and a grain bag.

It's possible.....but even for a stout it was pretty sweet.

naristov said:
6 lb. Dark liquid malt extract, 4 oz. Chocolate Malt, 4 oz. Caramel 10L, 4 oz. Roasted Barley, 4 oz. Flaked Barley specialty grain, 1 tsp. Gypsum, 1/2 oz. Nugget, 1 oz. Willamette pellet hops, yeast, priming sugar and a grain bag.

It's possible.....but even for a stout it was pretty sweet.

Did you sample it after you added the bottling sugar?

Carbonation will knock some of the sweetness down. Give it some time and then taste it after a few weeks. I am betting that it will change.

Exactly which yeast did you use?

I don't recall what strain. It was a dry yeast that came with the kit. I hope that the carbonation will knock out some of the sweetness. I was just looking ways to improve my next batch. I bought liquid yeast this time and I hope to make a heat stick to increase the boil. Thanks for all the help. I will let you guys know how it turns out in a few weeks.

My first brew was a little sweet before bottling (before adding priming sugar) as well. I'm happy to report that the carbonation process killed the sweetness and the flavor really developed well over the 3 week process. It doesn't taste like it did when I bottled. I'd imagine your beer will be fine.

That recipe doesn't look like it will be too bitter. Maybe you did just expect a hoppier stout.

How vigorous the boil is isn't going to affect the hop utilization as much as you think it will, you said you don't have a thermometer but if it is boiling it is definitely hot enough to extract the Alpha Acids.

Rather than investing in a heat stick I would suggest buying a hydrometer (i think 20$). If you had a hydrometer for this batch and used it there would be no guessing if the yeast were viable or if your fermentation stalled too soon.

Thanks guys. I tasted the beer today (a little over a week after bottling) and it taste great not too sweet. A little over carbonated for my likes though.

Rather than investing in a heat stick I would suggest buying a hydrometer (i think 20$). If you had a hydrometer for this batch and used it there would be no guessing if the yeast were viable or if your fermentation stalled too soon.

I have a hydrometer, I just was unable to get a sample for the OG with out risk of contamination (poor planning). I didn't think to take a sample to test before bottling because I didn't have the OG. I just did another batch yesterday and was able to bring 3 gallons of water to a healthy boil. Thanks

Back