A little help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommybjr

Reaction score
I am about to start my first mead. I plan on doing a 5 gallon batch.

15lbs honey
4 gallons water
2 packages Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
Sweet Traditional Mead Pack from AHS
BrewVint Yeast Fuel (Nutrient)

My questions.

1. do I need a starter, or can I add the yeast dry?

2. should I use more water?

3. should I add all the yeast at one time?

I plan on leaving this in primary for a month, then rack to secondary onto 10 lbs of blackberries. Leave on the blackberries for a month, then rack off the berries for another month. then bottle. then wait...

I appreciate any advice, thanks.

1. either or, I personally just dump it in dry, but making a starter is good for verifying that the yeast is alive and helps get it started.

2. get a hydrometer and it will help determine your OG add water to get to your desired final ABV. use the calculator at got mead http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=745&Itemid=16

3. yes, although I dont see a need for 2 packages of yeast other then "insurance" which a good starter will do the same thing. Yeast will reproduce in your must/starter.

And just to add, dont use "time tables" there's too many varying factors in mead making. I rack to the secondary when fermentation is finished ( gravity is stable for a week) leave it on the adjuncts (in your case blackberries) until your reach your desired level of additional flavor/color. then rack it off and let it clear- racking periodically then let it bulk age once clear. If you bottle to soon, you can have bottle bombs/rockets or undesired lees in the bottle.

ExoticMeadMaker said:
1. either or, I personally just dump it in dry, but making a starter is good for verifying that the yeast is alive and helps get it started.

2. get a hydrometer and it will help determine your OG/SG(original gravity/starting gravity) added water to get to your desired final ABV. EC-1118 should take it dry

3. yes, although I dont see a need for 2 packages of yeast other then "insurance" which a good starter will do the same thing. Yeast will reproduce in your must/starter.

And just to add, dont use "time tables" there's too many varying factors in mead making. I rack to the secondary when fermentation is finished ( gravity is stable for a week) leave it on the adjuncts (in your case blackberries) until your reach your desired level of additional flavor/color. then rack it off and let it clear- racking periodically then let it bulk age once clear. If you bottle to soon, you can have bottle bombs/rockets or undesired lees in the bottle.

+1 I personally do mine with one packet dry, no starter.

I usually just fill to the 5 gallon mark, I don't care what my OG is. I also don't care too much about a hydrometer reading, I know its "wrong". Just remember time is your friend. (FYI I do care about my reading with beer, don't want bottle bombs, but if you're bulk aging I don't see how it can happen. I could be wrong, just never got even close to having this issue with mead.)

One thing that has gone wrong on my meads is temp control, too high temps = a not so pleasant "hot" flavor. Keep it low.

Remember time is your friend.

tommybjr said:
bulk age in the carboy? how long?

I usually let it sit for a while. BTW you define a while. :)

I use single gallon carboys, I right now have three left just sitting around. They are about 4 month old. I drank one. And other one is bottled. I'll probably brew another 5 gallons once I'm down to one or two gallons.

My favorite part about using singles is that you can do tons of experimenting. From this 5 gallon batch I got already a super sweet mead and a raspberry mead.

My advise. Have fun. Take your time.

Latest posts

Back