A little bragging and cleaning ???s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1jumpchump

Reaction score
I have a total of 4 batches under my belt, 3 extracts and a partial mash. Batches 3 and 4 are in process, but so far so good. I want to do all grain. Always have. I'm getting closer.

Ok, on with the bragging...to me anyway. This past weekend I picked up a huge amount of all grain equipment for $200 sight unseen. Here is the quick list off the top of my head:

2 - keggles, one with thermometer (cracked glass) and both with ball valve drains.
15 gallon mash tun from minibrew systems
Valley Mill grain mill
4 - 5 gal cornies
1 - 3 gal cornie
1- 5lb CO2 tank
1 - 10 lb CO2 tank
2 - propane tanks
3 - propane burners (1 is a jet burner with 1 large flame)
1 - 50 ft wort chiller
1 - 25 ft wort chiller
1 - 3 gal rubbermaid cooler with ball valve and false bottom
1- CO2 regulator
1 - 2 way CO2 splitter
2 - faucets
1 - march pump
misc parts and buckets

So enough bragging about my score. The question is this, how do I clean everything???? It had all been sitting outside under a tarp for quite a while. The keggles and the mash tun are fairly clean inside, but I noticed dark discoloration around the welds (rust maybe?). Everything else has either a thick coat of dust or old beer and sludge in it. The chillers are green right now, the cornies had old beer in the bottoms and the faucets did too. I know I'll replace all of the hoses and O rings. I have to test the propane burners. I think I'll bleach the inside of the mash tun. Any thoughts on cleaning the grain mill? Can you just hose it off or is water bad for the rollers and gears? I took apart the faucets and all of the gas in-takes and they're soaking in Oxy-Clean but can you really clean faucets? The march pump has some surface rust on the bracket and lots of spider webs on it, but I haven't checked to see if it works. Any suggestions or things to look for from those of you who have been doing this a while and have seen some things would be greatly appreciated.

Okay first:

$200?

You suck. :D

I'd attack each item one at a time and the first thing to do is get a bucket with hot soapy water...maybe a dash of bleach and a wash cloth and give everything (except the grain mill) a good hand washing. Knocking off the crud will go a long way in getting those things back to brewing condition.

Once they appear clean, give everything a good sanitizing using your favorite (debatable) method.

As far as the mill, blow it clean with an air hose or use a clean paint brush. I've got nearly 100 batches on my mill and it's never seen a drop of water.

oh...and did I mention you suck?

:cross:

I certainly hope you didn't leave an address or phone number with the seller.

This reeks of spiteful liquidation.

BTW, You Suck!

Lemme be the third to say...you suck.:)

FWIW - I never had anywhere near that amount of stuff but I quit brewing for 9 years and I am soooooo glad I didn't sell anything (or give it away like your guy did). I wonder if that dude will regret giving it all away?

Thanks to all for telling me I suck! I've never made a score worthy of such an honor, so this is a first for me.:p

BierMuncher - Thanks for the advice on the mill particularly. I'll hook up the compressor this weekend and blow that thing out.

Gila - I actually got the stuff from the brewer. There was no spite, but maybe a tinge of regret.

Spanish - I hope he doesn't regret it later too. I work in the same building and see him often, so it could get uncomfortable if he did. He's a great guy and is very free with the advice as he brewed for about 10 years before stopping.

Latest posts

Back