A little bit confused about Coopers' recipe, replacing sugars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt81

Reaction score
Hello

Coopers European Lager is 1 can kit with lager yeast. Instructions:

1. use of 1kg Brew Enhancer 2. This contains dextrose, maltodextrin and Light Dry Malt. Dextrose and malt will ferment, maltodextrin will not, it adds body and head.

2. Alternatively, 500g Light Dry Malt + 250g Sugar/ Dextrose may be used

Components named in instructions are not available in local store.

Plan is to use only this one instead of original recipe: http://www.brewersworldwhangarei.co.nz/shop/mangrove-jacks-reinheitsgebot-enhancer

If you click on the picture of this product, then there is written: 1,2 kg replaces 1 kg of dextrose or beer enhancer. As I understand, this is traditional dry malt extract...?

So:

1. Is it ok to only use this Mangrove Jacks enhancer to get the same amount of fermentable sugars? (probably I lose some head, because there is no maltodextrin but thats fine)
2. According to the original recipe (alternative 2) I have to use (500+250)*1,2 =900 g of Mangrove Jacks enhancer to get appr. the same OG and FG and therefore also ABV as I'd get from the original recipe. Is it correct?

Thanks in advance;)

The Mangrove Jack enhancer is 100% light dry malt extract. You could go with option 2 using 500 grams of the MJ DME and 250 grams of table sugar.

OK thanks. But what will happen, theoretically, if I use only MJ DME 750 g? Higher FG and same OG and therefore lower ABV?

One pound, 454 grams, of light DME will yield approximately 36 gravity points per gallon.

One pound, 454 grams, of sugar will yield approximately 44 gravity points per gallon.

DME is roughly 20% less fermentable than sugar. Using 750 grams of DME will have a little more body, than when sugar is used, but lower ABV. Replacing the 250 grams of sugar with 300 grams of DME, 250 grams plus 20%, should give you about the same ABV, and slightly more body. 500 grams + 300 grams of DME.

Sorry for mixing grams and pounds, but I might confuse myself in the conversion to kilograms.

Well well well...this was a theory:)

Used all, 1.2 kg Jack's LME (yep, it wasn't DME as I thought) and also added ca 200 g Muntons DME and got FG 1.037 (temp corrected). Original recipe (1 kg of different stuff) says ca 1.042. So...lets see what comes out from this one.

One pound, 454 grams, of light DME will yield approximately 36 gravity points per gallon.

One pound, 454 grams, of sugar will yield approximately 44 gravity points per gallon.

DME is 45 to 46 PPG and is similar to table sugar which is 46 ppg.

LME is 36 ppg, due to the added water weight.

Well well well...this was a theory:)

Used all, 1.2 kg Jack's LME (yep, it wasn't DME as I thought) and also added ca 200 g Muntons DME and got FG 1.037 (temp corrected). Original recipe (1 kg of different stuff) says ca 1.042. So...lets see what comes out from this one.

We would need a complete list of the sugars and malts in the beer to determine if 1.037 is the right gravity you should have gotten. Often people get incorrect gravity readings because the sugars do not mix completely with the added water in a partial boil brew (but the yeast find all the sugars).

Unfortunately I don't know the list of sugars because manufacturers do not give (or I just cant find) exact list what their LME/DME contains. I only know that we used:

-200 g (7 oz) muntons light dry malt extract - http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/munton-s-dme-light
-1200 g (42,3 oz) Mangrove Jack's Reinheitsgebot Enhancer - http://www.brewersworldwhangarei.co.nz/shop/mangrove-jacks-reinheitsgebot-enhancer
-One can Coopers European Lager

Total amount of wort 23 L (6,1 gal). Stirred properly. But yes there is a still chance that it all wasn't mixed properly.

Just assumed that these are very similar to original recipe ingredients. Interesing experiment anyway, it can't be bad:mug:

Waiting for fermentation signs now after 24 h.

Latest posts

Back