a keg that previously had gasoline in it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

77punx

Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I'm Steve, thanks for such a great community over here at homebrewtalk, I've been lurking for a long time and decided to sign up. So in my never ending quest to put together a single tier rims system as inexpensive as possible I came across a guy who will give me a 15.5 keg that he once used as a gas tank. Do you guys all think it would be safe to use cleaned? Will it be completely cleanable? Any ideas on how to clean it? Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

I'd also pass on it. You'd need to use a cleaner that's designed to [specifically] break down all the compounds within gasoline and render them inert/safe. You'd then need to clean out the cleaner to make it so that you can hold potable water in it. IMO, the cost of the cleaning solutions to get it safe more than offsets the cost of getting a keg someplace else. If you look on ebray long enough you'll be able to score some 1/2 bbl kegs. Of course, by the time you factor in shipping (on most of the kegs sold there) you'll be spending over $100. Also cruise the Craigslist ads for your area. I've been able to score some reasonably priced kegs that way.

take it and make a keg stool out of it. dont use for a keggle though

It's metal so it shouldn't hold anything and gas evaporates very quickly, I would clean it with some Purple Power REALLY well before cutting the top off though. After removing the top I'd boil water in it for a while. Should be ok

@ cpfitness. I came hear to ask for opinions and advice, not to be called an idiot. Turns out the keg in question was legally bought. Not stolen. If I were to keep a keg it would be stealing, I dont drink ****ty beer so I'm not going to get a keg of b.l. and I am certainly not going to steal from a craft brewery.

77punx, start calling scrapyards in your area to see if any get commercial kegs in. They are getting harder to find since many breweries are opting to have them fixed/repaired instead of scrapping them (as they would before). Still, if you don't give up, you'll be able to score a legal keg for a decent amount. Of course, if you're THAT concerned about having a 100% legal keg, just buy a brand new one (http://www.geemacher.com/) and not worry about it. I'm actually planning on purchasing a couple of their 1/4 bbl kegs soon (have a couple of larger paychecks coming) to have as additional fermenters. They have a ~6 week lead time on new 1/2 bbl kegs, but you can request a quote and then see about being notified when they are available again.

Actually, IF you were closer to me, I could be convinced to sell the 1/2 bbl keg that is currently unmodified. I'm waiting to hear if a buddy wants my first keggle. If he buys that one, then I'll need the second 1/2 bbl keg to convert into one for me. Or, I'll just use that money to get a brand new one. :D I just need it for my next batch, then I can use the Blichmann for the following one if needed.

I sure you could clean it to no ill affects ... The cleaning process, however, is the dangerous part ... Gas fumes can travel and ignite. What type of keg is it? IIRC the auto restoration folks like the Hoff-Stevens kegs for that rat-rod look.

air hose, purple power, simple green, oxi clean, lye, then acid and you're ready to go. It's stainless, it doesn't absorb or retain anything so once you purge the fumes and clean the surface you're good. Use your head if it really smells of gas, but it's not that hard to do properly.

air hose, purple power, simple green, oxi clean, lye, then acid and you're ready to go. It's stainless, it doesn't absorb or retain anything so once you purge the fumes and clean the surface you're good. Use your head if it really smells of gas, but it's not that hard to do properly.

I have to agree. My understanding of SS is it doesn't absorb anything. I think the most dangerous thing is cutting it with the confidence that you won't ignite fumes inside.

I think if you can get the fumes out, you can cut it, and you can clean it.

Thanks for all of the positive responses. I think I'm going to give it a shot, I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks guys!

I just had my fuel tank repaird on my boat...the welder had me drain the tank and let it dry out completely...then he filled it with argon gas and went at it with a mig welder....he said he repairs many a tank like this and has never had one blow up on him due to gas fumes....or fill it with water...or better yet now that i think about it...when we fuel up on the water i cary a bottle simple green onboard. any gas that gets spilled over gets a few shots and it disperses the gas...maybe you can fill the keg with a water/simple green mix when cutting it

Is it a stainless keg for sure could be an old aluminum one as was mentioned before alot of old racers used aluminum beer kegs for gas tanks. I know I had one back in the 70's

Had a friend weld on my motorcycle gas tank before years ago.
Just emptied it then let it dry out for a couple days, then he popped it with a torch before welding on it.

Don't know if it can be done safely, if I were to try, I would let it completely air dry then put acetone (paint thinner/solvent) clean with the acetone then empty out and let air dry. Acetone dries fast and completely leaving no residue, it is also a strong solvent and should be able to dissolve most if not all the organic compounds in gas. In organic chemistry we often used acetone to clean our glassware because it is a good solvent that dries completely. I would do a few treatments like this then follow with some form of degreaser then dawn. You could finish up with oxyclean if it made you feel better. After all that you could try heat which should drive off any remaining organic compounds should there be any. Like I said before, I don't know if it can be done safely (I don't know enough about gasoline chemistry) but if I were to try the above steps are where I would begin. Unlike diesel gas dries fairly good. You may also consider some type of acid wash in case there are any toxic metals like lead, mercury etc.

Latest posts

Back