A homebrewer alcoholic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Grandfather is a recovering alcoholic. After my grandma Died he crawled in a bottle and has just recently came back out after 8 years of TRUE alcoholism. the turning point for him was when he started going blind. we took him to the hospital where the doctors put him through a "detox" program for 2 weeks. fast forward 2 years later and he is still sober and his health and cognitive ability has improved 1000%.
Having said that the alcoholism is a question I ask myself all the time. I've found that although there are weeks where I drink 6+ more per day. There are also weeks where I go without any alcohol at all. My biggest fear is my mode swings. I never noticed it but my wife has. She tells me that although I am what she calls a "happy drunk" the next day (until I had more alcohol) I am "difficult" to deal with. However when I'm on my sober week Im very open minded and much easier to deal with. I personally think my biggest problem is "peer" pressure. I can not turn down an offer to go have a beer after work.

My Grandfather is a recovering alcoholic. After my grandma Died he crawled in a bottle and has just recently came back out after 8 years of TRUE alcoholism. the turning point for him was when he started going blind. we took him to the hospital where the doctors put him through a "detox" program for 2 weeks. fast forward 2 years later and he is still sober and his health and cognitive ability has improved 1000%.
Having said that the alcoholism is a question I ask myself all the time. I've found that although there are weeks where I drink 6+ more per day. There are also weeks where I go without any alcohol at all. My biggest fear is my mode swings. I never noticed it but my wife has. She tells me that although I am what she calls a "happy drunk" the next day (until I had more alcohol) I am "difficult" to deal with. However when I'm on my sober week Im very open minded and much easier to deal with. I personally think my biggest problem is "peer" pressure. I can not turn down an offer to go have a beer after work.

From one easily persuaded guy to another - tread lightly, friend. Although, I think not having many friends around right now (we recently moved) has lead to more "heavy" nights in than out. Something I'm currently wrestling with to regain control. Maybe I should give a hiatus a try...my next batch wont be ready to drink for a few weeks, it's as good a time as any right?

this is a topic that has come up a bunch here and on a couple of other beer forums that I belong to.
I have thought about it myself reading these threads, and I came to the conclusion I am a drinker, but not alcoholic. I do have a beer most nights, mostly just one. I may have a bomber sometimes, but I usually hold those for weekends. Occasionally during the week, but not often.
I had a Firestone Pivo Pils tonight. I opened it when dinner was ready, about 8:00, and just now finished it around 10:15. I know that in itself doesn't mean anything.
I will go days and occasionally a week or 2 without drinking, and I don't miss it.
I have been questioned once, by a former roommate who projects a lot of things on others... Funnily enough, when he asked, I was drinking as little as I had in a long time, a period of months.
I will be slowing down a bit coming up, since at the end of March, early April my poor liver will be getting a bit of a workout - one beer fest the weekend of March 22 - 23 (Beer Advocate's Extreme Beer fest in Boston) the next weekend a cask fest in Boston (NERAX) and the week after that a wine tasting - 25 tables of 6 - 8 bottles per table (I stick to reds, and don't even try all of them, but it's still a long day...)
I will likely be knocking off completely during the weeks between those events.

Good post. I have many relatives who are alcoholic. I look after my dad who has had multiple hospitalizations for his alcoholism. My wife tells me if I become like that, she leaves.

The thought of me being an alcoholic terrifies me. I enjoy brewing. I have a kegerator. It's easy to have more than one.

Appreciate the reminder to tap the brakes.

Found this story in one of my daily newsletters and this seemed like a good thread for it:

Vancouver Sun: Vancouver program teaches alcoholics to make their own booze

"The way the brewing program works is that Drinker’s Lounge members who are in good standing — meaning they regularly attend meetings — can get together in groups of four, throw $10 each toward a beer- or wine-making kit, and start the fermentation process with the help of a resident brewmaster. A month later, each of the brewers are free to take home five litres of their homemade booze."

To the OP, and those feel the same.

I feel you have taken the first and hardest step. Self Evaluation, and the acknowledgment that an issue is possible. I honestly hope that you have people in your life that will support you properly in the next step!

Like most things in life now, Communication will likely be the most important thing for you. Talk about your habits, feelings, and general thoughts surrounding Alcohol. If your thinking it, it's likely that those that care about you have also thought about it as well. Open up to those that you trust, and then trust their opinions! Don't try to do it alone!

Be Honest with yourself, Be Honest with those you trust most, and in the end do what is best for you and your loved ones.

Very good points. Someone who drinks responsibly (usually) stops when they reach too much. An alcoholic is like a freight train that simply gains momentum as the night progresses. The difference is

1) willingness to see one's own faults

2) the strength to understand the truth

Most alcoholics are self medicating for reasons they know not. It the deep subconscious b.s. from past (unpleasant) experiences that typically drives the need to loose ones self in the mindlesness of substance use. It is the moment of no worry that addicts are chasing. One can never escape such a fate without being self aware and honest with themselves. I did. I still brew. I still drink a beer now and again. Sometimes I get a buzz. Sometimes I only drink one for the enjoyment. Sometimes I get completely blitzed. But I always am reasonable and never forget why I am working so hard to be reasonable with my choices.

Alcoholism is NOT a disease. It is a result of mental health issues and calling it a disease is a dis-service to all those afflicted.

AA.works because it gives people a place to belong and SHARE. It is a release just like getting drunk. IT IS A CRUTCH. I had issues with substance abuse. Alcohol became my substance of choice. I tried AA, but was PAINFULLY difficult to digest. Some meetings were more godly than a Catholic funeral. I ended up going sober for two years and talking with a therapist. Eventually I realized that all I ever needed was to share the things that made me want to 'zone out'. Turns out that they were things that I had mostly forgotten, or forced myself to forget. The only thing I had ever taken away from those experiences was anger. I now keep an open dialog with my wife and am responsible with my drinking.

I drink when I'm happy

I NEVER drink when I feel like I 'need' a drink.

I'm glad that the HBT community is so willing to openly deal with the issue of substance abuse.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Very good points. Someone who drinks responsibly (usually) stops when they reach too much. An alcoholic is like a freight train that simply gains momentum as the night progresses. The difference is

1) willingness to see one's own faults

2) the strength to understand the truth

Most alcoholics are self medicating for reasons they know not. It the deep subconscious b.s. from past (unpleasant) experiences that typically drives the need to loose ones self in the mindlesness of substance use. It is the moment of no worry that addicts are chasing. One can never escape such a fate without being self aware and honest with themselves. I did. I still brew. I still drink a beer now and again. Sometimes I get a buzz. Sometimes I only drink one for the enjoyment. Sometimes I get completely blitzed. But I always am reasonable and never forget why I am working so hard to be reasonable with my choices.

Alcoholism is NOT a disease. It is a result of mental health issues and calling it a disease is a dis-service to all those afflicted.

AA.works because it gives people a place to belong and SHARE. It is a release just like getting drunk. IT IS A CRUTCH. I had issues with substance abuse. Alcohol became my substance of choice. I tried AA, but was PAINFULLY difficult to digest. Some meetings were more godly than a Catholic funeral. I ended up going sober for two years and talking with a therapist. Eventually I realized that all I ever needed was to share the things that made me want to 'zone out'. Turns out that they were things that I had mostly forgotten, or forced myself to forget. The only thing I had ever taken away from those experiences was anger. I now keep an open dialog with my wife and am responsible with my drinking.

I drink when I'm happy

I NEVER drink when I feel like I 'need' a drink.

I'm glad that the HBT community is so willing to openly deal with the issue of substance abuse.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app
Great post. Thanks for sharing your journey.

I once asked an old guy (90+) what his secret to life was. Think it applies well to this topic.

"The key to life is moderation. Moderation in everything, including your moderation."

Think on that one for a minute. :)

I once asked an old guy (90+) what his secret to life was. Think it applies well to this topic.

"The key to life is moderation. Moderation in everything, including your moderation."

Think on that one for a minute. :)

Moderation is synonymous with self control... we could all learn from that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Back