A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an avatar now? Is this a new thing, where every Tom, Dick, and Harry can have an avatar?

B..e..a..utiful beer Gav!

Whirlpool hops for a 5.5gal batch of Pliny the Younger.

Thanks man. Nice sunny day here today.

I did something similar to you in my current IPA

attachment.php

Wow.

And here's my question not related to the quote. Old fashioned or beer. Help I'm indecisive..
Drinking too much of Remmy's 14%ers? Where's the question mark? And what's the question?😀

Thanks man. Nice sunny day here today.

I did something similar to you in my current IPA

attachment.php
That's a paint strainer right? Thinking along those lines.

That glass of hops looks delicious! ;) planning on a dry hop, too?? Seriously, that's **** ton of hops!
Yep, 7oz of dry hops! Recipe calls for a 4 DHs. I'll add 1/2 in primary, cold crash, then other half in secondary.

They are hop bags from @Wilserbrewer

Same voile material as his large bags. Much finer weave than a paint strainer bag.

Great piece of kit.

I have SS strainers, but notice the proteins, etc clog them up. After stopping using them, noticed much more intense hop flavors. Mind sharing your experience?

I have SS strainers, but notice the proteins, etc clog them up. After stopping using them, noticed much more intense hop flavors. Mind sharing your experience?

I use a plate chiller. Pellet hops can result in blockages so some form of hop filter is needed.

I have not experienced any problems in terms of extracting hoppy goodness and adequate bittering. I've only ever entered one IPA (previous one I made) to a comp. It fared well but it's hardly much of a data set to back me up.

View attachment 377878

You have a woman's hands my lord!!

Cheers Gavin! Looks great, Vienna IPA? Is it a SMaSH? Or just a Vienna base malt IPA?

I wager those hands have never been hewn clean off by the fall of a mizen mast.....Aaaargh etc.

Love that episode.

100% Vienna malt. 3 hop varieties used.

Here is some more details if you're interested.

attachment.php

I wager those hands have never been hewn clean off by the fall of a mizen mast.....Aaaargh etc.

Love that episode.

100% Vienna malt. 3 hop varieties used.

Here is some more detail if you're interested.

attachment.php

Sounds great! I'm prepping to make a Munich Hallertau SMaSH with a decoction mash for color and flavor, it should be similar to a Vienna lager and nearly a Dunkel if I get it dark enough.

Kegging Gavin's Munich dunkel....

Well, not really Gavin's, since I rounded off the grains to whole increments, did a single infusion, and used German ale yeast.

Thanks for the recipe! ;)

Until its time to get it all out of the mash tun.

oh yeah! good luck with that, I'll be over here with my 20lbs of grain in a handy dandy bag. :mug:

Also, I'm going to be in the DC area for work over the next few months. Where is your brewery? I'll come pay ya for a pint.

oh yeah! good luck with that, I'll be over here with my 20lbs of grain in a handy dandy bag. :mug:

Also, I'm going to be in the DC area for work over the next few months. Where is your brewery? I'll come pay ya for a pint.

Yeah, 1000 lbs of wet grain is a little trickier to deal with. Something to be said for just dumping it on the compost.

Brew Republic in Woodbridge VA. And I wish it was mine. I just work there lol

Morning all! Only a half day of work today and then it's home to enjoy the long holiday. That means I can start drinking at the stroke of noon and not stop until Sunday!

Back