A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for that, I'm carpet bombing your front. door with more saisons

Are we doing QOTD anymore? I would think a good one might be:
What got you into brewing and what was your first beer? Drinkable?

It seemed so cool. And I liked drinking beer. I figured I could make award-winning brews in no time. Many years later, I have one bronze medal and one silver medal to show for it. Of course I've only entered 3 competitions so I think I'm doing ok.

My first beer was a Mr. Beer kit. I don't remember it but I also don't remember any of those batches being any good at all.

Several years later my first full size batch was a Brewers Best Alt. As I recall it wasn't bad at all. I remember sharing it with friends and they told me my brewing was sucking less and less.

That would not bother me in the slightest. Might net you a return box on my usual slow time frame.

I accidentally clicked a Kegerator.com ad on Facebook. Seriously. First beer was a 1 gallon Moose Drool clone from Northern. Bottled way too soon, but the last couple bottles were decent.

QOTD: I can't remember why I started. Probably my roommate thought it was a good idea and I had a chemistry degree, so....

I think my first beer was a Brewer's Best amber ale. No idea if it was good or not. I was OCD meticulous and I'm pretty sure we drank it all.

That would not bother me in the slightest. Might net you a return box on my usual slow time frame.

I accidentally clicked a Kegerator.com ad on Facebook. Seriously. First beer was a 1 gallon Moose Drool clone from Northern. Bottled way too soon, but the last couple bottles were decent.

Nice, my 3rd brew was actually formulated off of Northern Brewers all grain moose drool

Mine was Austin Home Brew DeadGuyAle clone. This was 10 years ago in my first HB run. No temp control, no bottling bucket, just racked into bottles..messy. Nothing really came out good, go figure. At least I drink them now.

OT..lastest find. Except for the odd "ashy" sense at end, it's well done.

View attachment 1461119972474.jpg

My bro in law got us each matching 5 gal extract kit setups one Christmas. First batches we did a canned extract bock and an English brown, side by side. The LBHS guy convinced him to add a pound or two dry malt extract to boost the alcohol. Mystery dry yeast sprinkled on top and zero temp control. Turned out half decent, but not great by any means. Found a couple bottles almost 2 years later that tasted like crisp lagers. Go figure. I instantly became obsessed with the hobby from day one.

And then there were three.

bracket.jpg

Not a clue what my first batch was. I think it was a summer ale extract kit that came with the setup that the misses gave me for Christmas, which she regretted quickly. Didn't start taking notes on all my batches for a year or 2, but I think it was drinkable.

First batch was a Irish red. It was sweet but okay. Started because, well I just thought it would be fun to make my own beer. bought a kit as a congrats on ending a year of unemployment gift to myself

My BIL brewed and came over and showed me how to do a partial mash. After that I went AG. My first beer was a milk stout and at the time I thought it was fantastic. No idea if it would be by standards now. I did a frozen-bottle water bath so I kept it in the 60s overall, so don't think I had any bad off flavors. It'd probably be way too sweet for my tastes now. Think my second one was a Dead Guy clone and great. I then made a Hefeweizen and it was the worst beer I've made to date, and my only undrinkable one.

Got into brewing cause step-FIL did it and I thought it was cool, plus beer is effing expensive here. First batch was when I lived in OK for the summer two summers ago. Thought it could be a fun bonding time with both BsIL. Was a heffe extract with steeping grains since we had no temp control. It was full of banana, but was honestly not too bad, drinkable at least. Oddly enough it went great alongside homemade vanilla ice cream. Not two years later and I'm decocting the **** out of my brews.

Answer of the yesterday:
My first craft beer experience was a Sam Adams winter lager while out with my wife for a brunch. I didn't realize that beer could actually have a flavor.
In regards to brewing, I've wanted to brew since around 8 months after the first Sam Adams. I discussed seriously doing it with my wife who went out and got me a Coopers kit for Christmas. The next day I made what would become the most god-awful oaked IPA that ever graced the earth...but I learned a lot and continued on. Sadly, my daughter was born and I don't have a bunch of time to do stuff anymore.

QOTD: SWMBO bought me a Festa Brew IPA kit (one of the big bags 'o wort). Made an honestly pretty damn good beer. I've been chasing the dragon ever since.

My BIL brewed and came over and showed me how to do a partial mash. After that I went AG. My first beer was a milk stout and at the time I thought it was fantastic. No idea if it would be by standards now. I did a frozen-bottle water bath so I kept it in the 60s overall, so don't think I had any bad off flavors. It'd probably be way too sweet for my tastes now. Think my second one was a Dead Guy clone and great. I then made a Hefeweizen and it was the worst beer I've made to date, and my only undrinkable one.

#everythingstoosweet

Back