A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, good question. I rotate through styles, so it's hard to pick one go to. Lately I've been drinking sours and IPAs.

For sours I might pick monks cafe. I haven't had it in a long time, but I remember it being really well balanced and easy to drink.

For hoppy beers it would probably be Tree House Alter Ego. I've only had it once, but it blew me away.

And it's mine! ALL MINE!!
Mwuahahahah!!!

Never heard of that. Who makes it?

One I came up with in my absence is what's your go-to beer? Like given that you could always find angle afford it. Not necessarily the best beer you've had, but the one you always find yourself craving

A would have a tough time picking a go-to beer. Style would be either IPA or IIPA, but I don't find myself buying the same beer over and over. If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with Odell Myrcenary.

My other cravings of DRINK ALL THE SAISONS or drink ALL THE SAISONS I can find seem pretty arbitrary.

Obligatory ftfy

Apex predator from off colored for me. The latest batch (looks like they got logo caps now) is astounding. I want to start putting it in my steel water bottle for work

One I came up with in my absence is what's your go-to beer? Like given that you could always find angle afford it. Not necessarily the best beer you've had, but the one you always find yourself craving

I there always seems to be some SNPA or Torpedo in the fridge.

Man, good question. I rotate through styles, so it's hard to pick one go to. Lately I've been drinking sours and IPAs.

For sours I might pick monks cafe. I haven't had it in a long time, but I remember it being really well balanced and easy to drink.

For hoppy beers it would probably be Tree House Alter Ego. I've only had it once, but it blew me away.

And it's mine! ALL MINE!!
Mwuahahahah!!!

I wonder if the monks cafe sour is the same as the house sour at Monks Cafe here in philly. I thought it was a u ique blend, and for sure it tastes different on tap then in a bottle.
Rumor has good problem to have DIPA coming out again middle of next month. I'm hoping I'll be in town for it. I'll totally pick up another case of that. At the brewery over the weekend they tapped a forking of dank hill with mango and kiwi. Damn that was good.

Man you guys actually talking about brewing. Giving me the itch to brew.

QOTD-
I like Founders All Day IPA and Perrin 98 Problems IPA as everyday accessible fresh beers that come in a can. Bells Two Hearted Ale too, although I don't get it as much because it comes in tallboys and it's a little higher ABV. Odd Side is close to me and has started canning and they do crowlers so I'll be exploring the space on that too.

In terms of homebrew, I like to go with something similar. Light, lowerish ABV, hoppy. I like to brew a simple Pale Ale and always have it on tap. Biermuncher's Nierra Sevada is a personal favorite as far as this goes. I like Wayne's Blue Moon clone a lot too. Not a complex beer but very quaffable.

Man, I need to get the garage cleaned out so I can start brewing at the new house. Been there almost 6 months already.

Obligatory ftfy

Apex predator from off colored for me. The latest batch (looks like they got logo caps now) is astounding. I want to start putting it in my steel water bottle for work

THE ARROGA-- no, you're right. That is a great one. I really need to buy more.

Saison is probably the latest style that I've really gotten a taste for. I really need to brew more of them too, I guess.

QOTD

The more I make of them the more I want them.

One beer that I would always want is a readily available German lager ~5%. Not overly fussed on the type. Helles, Dunkel, Pils, Vienna even a Schwartz. (Marzen is a bit big for day to day wear). Germany is not about to stop making and exporting these anytime soon so they'd qualify i reckon.
  • Readily available
  • Always tasty
  • Crushable when the mood strikes

If a gun were put to my head I'd go with a Dunkel or a vienna, but Pils and helles are not without their charm.

I'd probably end up shot and indecisive.

ETA: if I was still home it's Guinness all day every day on draught. proper stuff, not served in a shaker or with a shamrock in the head or any other nonsense.

Just this. Nectar of the gods

guinness-beer-will-soon-be-vegan

Sorry I meant monks cafe. Or wait, does it have red wiritng with a barrel on it?

This one:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460405156.410544.jpg

It comes in 12 oz bottles, it's only 5.5%, and it's got some sweetness so it won't melt your esophagus. Win.

I wonder if the monks cafe sour is the same as the house sour at Monks Cafe here in philly. I thought it was a u ique blend, and for sure it tastes different on tap then in a bottle.
Rumor has good problem to have DIPA coming out again middle of next month. I'm hoping I'll be in town for it. I'll totally pick up another case of that. At the brewery over the weekend they tapped a forking of dank hill with mango and kiwi. Damn that was good.

Not sure if they are different. I've never been to monks cafe, but I'm sure we'll stop there on the Duffman food tour some day.

This one:
View attachment 350013

It comes in 12 oz bottles, it's only 5.5%, and it's got some sweetness so it won't melt your esophagus. Win.

I like that one. I've been told by sourbiersnobs who know more than me that it's a poor example of the style or whatever, but I enjoy it a lot. Very easy to drink. I like sours a lot, but most of the time I'm done after a glass or two and have to switch to something else. Not so with Monk's Cafe.

This one:
View attachment 350013

Not sure if they are different. I've never been to monks cafe, but I'm sure we'll stop there on the Duffman food tour some day.

Have the mussels there and explain to @mhurst111 how it was the best you've ever had. Just to give him some incentive to take the Duff food tour too lol.

I like that one. I've been told by sourbiersnobs who know more than me that it's a poor example of the style or whatever, but I enjoy it a lot. Very easy to drink. I like sours a lot, but most of the time I'm done after a glass or two and have to switch to something else. Not so with Monk's Cafe.

Yep, this. Not a great example of the style, but still a great beer.

Edit: Hunter_la5 you should give this a try too.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1460406134.978682.jpg

It's a little sweeter and has more of a cola flavor going on, but it's also good.

I'll look out for that. Is it easily found? Really need to try more sours. This sounds like a good option.

It's relatively easy to find in Denver, but not sure about elsewhere.

Is this what you're talking about?

Foto_duchesse_75_25.jpg

If so I'll pick it up. I'd no idea it was @iijakii aproved.

Duchesse is a lot more sour than monks cafe, so know that going into it. If I remember correctly there's a fair amount of acetic acid in that one.

This one:
View attachment 350013

Yep, this. Not a great example of the style, but still a great beer.

Edit: Hunter_la5 you should give this a try too.

View attachment 350033

It's a little sweeter and has more of a cola flavor going on, but it's also good.

I like both of those beers a lot. Like you said, great balance: sour enough to be refreshing, sweet enough to not feel like the enamel is stripping off your teeth.

Duchesse is good. More acetic than other examples, and their QC isn't the best so there's some variability. I prefer Rodenbach, particularly Rodenbach Grand Cru. But Duchesse is good.

Duchesse is good. More acetic than other examples, and their QC isn't the best so there's some variability. I prefer Rodenbach, particularly Rodenbach Grand Cru. But Duchesse is good.
Yeah that's it, lovely stuff.
It's relatively easy to find in Denver, but not sure about elsewhere.
Duchesse is a lot more sour than monks cafe, so know that going into it. If I remember correctly there's a fair amount of acetic acid in that one.

Thanks all this is good stuff to know. Duchesse is easy to find in my area, have been wanting to get a bottle but something else always caught my eye that is a bit harder to find.

I agree . Rodenbach Grand Cru is the best of the three mentioned. I know I have some Monk's in the fridge but may have either a Duchesse or Rodenbach down the basement. May have to put one in the fridge.

Have the mussels there and explain to @mhurst111 how it was the best you've ever had. Just to give him some incentive to take the Duff food tour too lol.

I'm up for a DuffMan food tour, but I need to convince SWMBO that a trip to Philly is something we should do. Maybe I can work the 'the kids should see it, it's really educational' angle on her.

I agree . Rodenbach Grand Cru is the best of the three mentioned.

I'd agree with this as well. I thought LA Follie was also very good but not better than Gran Cru which is cheaper here.

I end up buying Jai Alai often, but I'd prefer Two Hearted if it was in my grocery store. Jai Alai is a bit strong to drink much of during the week so I guess it fits in the fairly often category? I also drink Sweetwater IPA fairly often since it's much cheaper.

Damn you guys got me on a sour kick tonight..

Just had a Red Poppy.. now drinking a Cuvee Freddy.

I just brewed a sour yesterday so the dregs are going into the fermenter.

I'm up for a DuffMan food tour, but I need to convince SWMBO that a trip to Philly is something we should do. Maybe I can work the 'the kids should see it, it's really educational' angle on her.

Philly is the cradle of liberty...also only two hours or so away from Hershey Park, Dorney park and six flags.

Damn you guys got me on a sour kick tonight..

Just had a Red Poppy.. now drinking a Cuvee Freddy.

I just brewed a sour yesterday so the dregs are going into the fermenter.

Love some Freddy good stuff, I think I have a bottle of my Flanders in the fridge and I'm taking the day off so it sounds like a good idea to me;)

For those interested in the MLB cellar dweller contest, here are the contestants and their guesses.

I'll try to update every month or so just so i dont forget about it.

member team wins current wins
BeerMeDuffMan Braves 650
Helly Braves 620
Zekk Brewers 602
coyote68 Mariners482
PianoMan Reds 624
OnetoeDog Reds 644
DisturbdChemist Reds 634
mhurst111 Rockies 612

Damn you people cursing my Reds.

Back