A few yeast starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
I received a smack pack from Northern Brewer (1056) and it was a bit inflated which I guess is somewhat usual during the summer months. My next brew day is this Wednesday and I will be doing a kit (All Grain - DeadRinger) for the first time in 3+ years.

I have never used a starter before and I was advised by Northern Brewer to make one to make up for the lost yeast during shipping.

My questions:
1 - I was planning on using a 2 liter bottle for a 5 gallon recipe, is that okay?

2 - What is the pitch rate for this beer. OG is 1.064? How much water and DME do I use to get to the appropriate pitch rate?

3 - What else to I need to know for my first yeast starter? I do not have a stir play but I have advised SWMBO to give it light shake whenever she is in the kitchen and I will also do the same.

Check out www.yeastcalc.com . Even a perfectly fresh smack pack is under pitching 5 gallons of 1.064. The web site is great, plug in your values and watch the numbers change. My guess is you'll need 1.5 to 2 liters using "intermittent shaking" method. Check out "how to brew" on line and read the section on yeast starters. Make your starter 2 days before brew day, and you should be set!

As far as gravity of the starter, 1.040 is recommended regardless of the gravity of the wort the starter will be pitched into. This gravity will promote cell growth without taxing the yeast. 100:1, grams to liters if using DME. For example, 150 grams DME in 1.5 liters of water. Yeastcalc is great to figure out how big a starter you need.

Made my first starter by using yeast calc. There is quite a bit of fizzing going on in the growler only after a few hours. So far I guess it was a success but we will have to see how it turns out in the final product in about 6 weeks.

Back