A few issues today, looking for any feedback to see if I should worry.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregblatz

Reaction score
OK, so first brew session in a while. I have little kids so I don't get the chance to do it as often.

Today I did a simple pale ale 5gal batch.

My copper immersion chiller sprung several leaks but I didn't realize this until I was cooling. I'm guessing 1/2 to 1 gal got in there. My chiller was boiling for quite a while and I guess I'm a little worried that the tap water could be a source of bacteria.

So, now I've got a bit of a diluted batch at flameout and the kettle I used didn't have a spigot so I had to do the chill via bath method unfortunately.

I transferred to the fermenter when the thermometer was around 75 degrees(tip of thermometer was around the middle of the kettle). However the top of the Kettle was warmer and I could feel the warmth in the transfer tube as I moved from kettle to fermenter.

I guess I'm more worried about hot side aeration during the transfer. I run it through a food strainer with a fine mesh to help oxygenate the wort but I think it was a little warm.

Any thoughts on this? Should I be worried or maybe it is not that big of a deal?

You could have heated it back up to 165+ for 10 minutes and re-cooled to kill anything.

I think you'll be OK though. I've done worse things and it's usually turned out OK. Only time will tell now.

Back