A crappy brew day is better than a good day doing almost anything else.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilliams108

Reaction score
So..... yesterday was another brew day here in Indianapolis. For those of you not here or obsessed with the weather channel it was 30ish and we got 4 in of snow. I was pretty excited for this particular brew day because I have just installed an RO system and was taking my first shot at adjusting my water, was using a different yeast in my standard Haus ale and was trying FWH and a flameout addition. Also I had been hving problems with my barley crusher so I disassembled and redjusted that.My rig is a HERMs hybrid with electric HLT and an SQ14 on the BK so my day starts with filling and heating the HLT, I dough in and everything is going great temps holding dead on even in the relative cold got a fantastic crush without having to "help" the rollers once. I get almost done with the mash and realize #$@% the yeast is still in the fridge. So I take said yeast into the kitchen and SMACK at that point I'm wearing about 50 billion, give or take a billion yeast cells and nutrients. No biggie I think after swearing at myself and get the second pack smacked and munching. Back outside I go to transfer to the BK and do the sparging ( I do 2 batch sparges ) with everything on track I get to making sure the fermenter is sanitized and whatnot. Checking on the BK I notice that the level was down from 13 gal to about 11 gal. Weird well, whatever guess I'm getting one hell of a boil off rate. So, I top it back off and get back to cleaning and sanitizing. Well, it happens again back to 11 gal. At this point I'm baffled WTF where is my wort going? Then I see it, I forgot to close the fill valve on the BK and it's been moving back to the MT GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. All evening I stew about making these simple mistakes and screwing up a brew that I was excited about when I realize, a bad brew day is still better than a good day doing almost anything else.

I've said this about skiing many times. A bad day skiing is better than a good day at almost anything else.

Enjoy your beer!

I don't know about you but when I have a crappy brew day it pisses me off. I hate it as my system is really predictable on just about every brew. To me yeah I know it will still be "Good" beer but not the beer I was shooting for. Just makes the cleanup that much worse for me .... lol

I agree with your sentiment.

Yesterday I brewed 22 gallons by myself while being hit with snow/sleet. I was wet, cold, and tired.....but it was awesome!

Back