A couple yeast harvesting questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qulith

Reaction score
I am going to try to harvest yeast for the first time new week.

1) I have a batch of Pale ale that has been in the primary fermentor 3 weeks and I just wanted to confirm that there should still be dormant viable yeast after that length of time. The yeast is the Wyeast 1968 London ESB.

2) I plan on brewing 2 different beers, a high gravity IIPA and then a low gravity session beer. I was reading Palmer's chapter on pitch rates and calculating yeast cell counts of starters. How do I determine the original yeast cell count of my harvested/washed yeast so I can prepare the correct starters for each of the beers?

Thanks!

I am going to try to harvest yeast for the first time new week.

1) I have a batch of Pale ale that has been in the primary fermentor 3 weeks and I just wanted to confirm that there should still be dormant viable yeast after that length of time. The yeast is the Wyeast 1968 London ESB.

2) I plan on brewing 2 different beers, a high gravity IIPA and then a low gravity session beer. I was reading Palmer's chapter on pitch rates and calculating yeast cell counts of starters. How do I determine the original yeast cell count of my harvested/washed yeast so I can prepare the correct starters for each of the beers?

Thanks!
Allow your washed slurry to settle in a cylinder in the fridge. Then quess/estimate the vollume of the liquid on top to the yeast on the bottom. Decant the liquid until you have about 60% liquid to 40% yeast. Now, stir it all up to make a slurry and decant 6 oz of slurry to your pitching vessel. This will be approximatly 10 million cells/ml in 5gallons of wort. Double that for a HG brew. Hope this helps... Cheers

Back