A couple quick questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eljefebrewing

Reaction score
I'll take it easy on you with my noobness by answering my own questions... just looking for some confirmation that I've got things figured correctly. :)

Q1. Even after pouring my wort through a strainer, there's lots of stuff that gets through into the fermenter bucket. I know this won't affect the ferment of the beer, but I was wondering if it will affect my OG reading in the hydrometer tube. I have a siphonless fermenter (bucket with spigot) and I draw my sample for the OG reading from the spigot. That's why there's so many floaties. (See Photo #1.)

A1. My assumption is that the floaties won't affect anything, because the hydrometer measures the amount of sugars in the wort, correct? If, instead, it's a measure of density, then all the particulate matter might skew the reading.

Q2. I had no problems using only an airlock on my first batch (a brown ale). This time, making an APA and using WLP051 Cal V yeast, I thought the ferment might be more vigorous, so I rigged a blowoff tube. I cut a little slit in the end, but still had a heck of a time getting it onto the post inside my airlock body. (See Photo #2.)

A2. It seems secure to me, but does it look okay to you experts? I have yet to see any bubbles from the rig (other end of the tube is in a jug with some StarSan) after 3 days. There is some kreusen from what I can tell through the opaque bucket. If I push on the lid, the hose will burp. I just haven't seen it go on it's own. It's been in for 3 days, with temps ranging between 66 and 70, according to the Fermometer strip on the side. That leads me into Q3...

Q3. When talking about fermentation temps., (Ie. - you should shoot for 62 to 65, etc.) are we talking about ambient air temp. in the location of the fermenter, or the reading on the Fermometer strip?

A3. I'm guessing we're talking about the ambient air temp., though I could go either way on this one. If it's air temp., given that fermentation is exothermic and can be about 8 degrees higher, then my closet temperature should be just fine. And if it's the other way around, then I should still be okay on temperature, according to the details given for the yeast. I'm just gonna advise myself to RDWHAHB on this matter... now that I finally can!

Q4. If you've actually read this far, you're a champ! Thanks for stickin' with me! :mug: Okay, assuming that the OG reading wasn't skewed by the trub in the tube (rhyme time!) and I measured 1.053, and that the yeast attenuation is supposed to be 70-75%...

A4. I should get a final gravity reading of between 1.013 and 1.016.

How I got there: 75% of 53 = 40 (rounding)... 53 - 40 = 13 for the low end. 70% of 53 is 37, 53 - 37 = 16 for the high end.

Did I do that right?

Thanks for taking the time! :rockin:

hydroTrub.jpg

airlock.jpg

Your OG is correct

The tube looks ok to me

The temp is actually fermentation temp of the wort - ambient and wort temp can be off by as much as 10 degrees in extreme situations, but for the most part if your in the low to middle range of where you want to be then you will only get a couple degree rise and your in good shape

wohoo - I am a champ...I think your in the right range, but I can't remember for sure and I am too lazy/tired to put it in beersmith. Hopefully another champ can come help on that.

Back