A Brewday of Minor Disasters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khiddy

Reaction score
I awoke this morning with brewing 'pon my mind. I had intended to brew a Hazelnut Brown Ale recipe for a friend, a clone of the Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. Over the past few weeks I had researched and tweaked some clone recipes found on various sites, with an eye on my grain inventory. I thought I was ready to go, until I went back to my brew room and found that I actually had no 2-Row, and just a bit of 6-Row, to serve as the backbone of the brew.

Fortunately, I had received my most recent order from Brewmasters Warehouse, which had two of my recipes crushed and prebagged, so I grabbed one and started heating up my mash tun. I was brewing an Alt today, instead! Included in a recent order from AHS was a new floating thermometer, which I figured would come in handy in my HLT, so into the pot it went. Of course, midway through the mash, I realized I should make sure that it was calibrated, so I boiled some water and found that the thermometer wasn't quite registering high enough - it never showed a temp higher than about 202*F. Oh well, I thought, I was using my digital thermo for the mash anyhow, so it wasn't going to be a big deal.

The mash went really well, and the boil did as well, so I put the new thermometer into the boil for the last 10 minutes to get it sterilized prior to the cooling stage. At the same time, I read the instructions on the Safale K-97 packet, and learned that I was going to get to use my new Stirplates.com stirplate for the first time! Woo-hoo! After rehydrating the yeast packet, I put it on the stirplate with a nice low spin for 30 minutes per the instructions, while the wort finished cooling to pitching temp.

This is where the wheels came off, almost all at once. The floating thermometer indicated that the wort was in the low 60's, which was a bit lower than I really wanted, so I quickly took the Immersion Chiller out of the pot. The brand-new floating thermometer managed to get caught in the coils of the IC, and came up out of the pot with it... for a moment. It wiggled free as I was trying to grab it, and fell back into the pot with a dull thud. I knew immediately that it had shattered, and indeed it had. The blasted non-calibrated-thing didn't make it through even ONE SINGLE BREW!!!

But wait! There's more! I hadn't lost too many of the beads in the bottom of the thermometer, and I knew I was going to be carefully pouring the wort into the bucket through a strainer, so the lost thermometer wasn't the end of the world. I got the wort into the bucket, leaving most of the hot & cold break behind (hopefully with most of the weight pellets intact). Then I reached for the yeast on the stirplate, and poured it into the brew... all of it... with the magnetic stirbar!

That's my brew day. Not the worst day, but certainly filled with annoyances. It was clear to me that new equipment was the common thread. This new-fangled stuff is going to be the death of me! :eek:

Usually alcohol and red dye, I believe. That sucks. I lost a batch of barley wine whilst trying a "new technique". I can sympathize.

I just had to post here, I have had the worst of the worst take place as well, good luck. Just remember all beer is good! Some just turns out better than others!

the batch I am going to keg today has a stirbar in the bottom.

thanks for the reminder as I totally forgot about it. I should have put a note on some masking tape and left it on the cover.

I can relate. I recently purchased a glass tube for my hydrometer (smaller and more sleek). For some reason I had a brain freeze and dropped the hydrometer into the tube when the tube was empty (maybe I thought there was star san in it which is my normal course of action). Of course it broke the bottom of the tube but fortunately not the hydrometer.

I also continually dump my stirbar into my BB from the flask even though I have the exterior magnet sitting next to the stirplate and I swear that I am not going to do it "this time". I am always hurrying to get the yeast into the BB and get the airlock on manage to forget to stick the round magnet onto the flask. I look at my brewing notes and each brew indicates "dumped magnet into primary - need to get out before racking to secondary or keg". The downside is that I have had to throw out some really good yeast that I wanted to re-use because trying to fish that sucker out of a glass or plastic carboy is no easy task after pouring the yeast out (very small and slimy). I normally end up sticking my hands in the trub to fish it out. I suppose I can get a large screen and salvage the yeast that way but it would be better to not get to this stage in the first place. While brewing yesterday I actually remembered to take the magnet out but I could not find the small round magnet (kids!). I was able to keep the magnet in the flask by pouring very slowly. Montanaandy

I feel your pain. I had one of those break when pulling out the IC and sliced my finger. Worst part is that I didn't realize I was beading into the chilled wort until I moved the carboy into the closet. I turned around to see a blood trail all the way back to my IC and inside my keggle. None the less The beer is kegged and great, but I will never use a floating thermometer again. I am far too clumsy.

I'm assuming you didn't get any mercury in your wort if you continued on with it?

Naw, it was an alcohol-based (blue) thermometer. Fortunately, the thermometer bead itself didn't break - just the very bottom, weight capsule part. But still enough to make me feel like a fool!

The downside is that I have had to throw out some really good yeast that I wanted to re-use because trying to fish that sucker out of a glass or plastic carboy is no easy task after pouring the yeast out (very small and slimy).

It's very easy to get a stirbar out of a carboy if you use another magnet on the outside of the glass.

Yep, but if you read my post I note that one of my kids walked off with the round keeper magnet so I didn't have that option at that particular time. Montanaandy

Naw, it was an alcohol-based (blue) thermometer. Fortunately, the thermometer bead itself didn't break - just the very bottom, weight capsule part. But still enough to make me feel like a fool!

Ah, so just the LEAD shot that was in it....

Hopefully it wasn't lead.

I always seem to get some type of animal hair in mine no matter what I do to prevent it.

It's good to hear I'm not the only one who breaks and/or spills things. Oh yeah, and had my first bottle bomb a few weeks ago. Perhaps one of my most brilliant moves was looking at a package of plug hops and thinking "2 x .5 ounce" meant 2.5 ounces. That was not a very bitter bitter.

Back