A Beer To Please The Masses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indianhead_Brewer

Reaction score
I have been sitting here trying to strategize and plan the first couple of homebrews I will be making. Right now I plan on making an APA clone of Sierra Nevada which is something strictly for me since this is one of the first craft brews I drank a long, long time ago as a college kid.

My problem now is that I am trying to figure out what my second brew should be. I would like to have some sort of beer on hand that I can share with neighbors/friends/random guests who drop by the house. In introducing these people to my homebrewing fascination I understand that most people I know are not likely to be as appreciative of "assertive" hops flavors in their beers since most them are used to drinking BMC on a routine basis. I need something to ease them into it.

I am just plain stuck on what direction to go. At first I was thinking maybe a California Common since in my mind this style isn't as hop forward as the Pale Ales and IPAs I enjoy consuming, but just not sure. I was also considering dabbling with more stringent temperature control and maybe attempting a Saison since I have a small space I can heat up to increase the fermentation temps appropriate for this style.

I just need some opinions as I am stuck on where to go! I know everyone has one and I just need some inspiration.

DISCLAIMER: I understand homebrewing is all about making a beer that I like to drink. I will definitely be doing that with whatever beer I end up brewing. On that note I am not a fan of Irish Red Ales and Cream Ales as styles so those won't be brewed in my brewhouse.

Cheers! :mug:

Try a cream ale or a blonde ale - those should be pretty well accepted by the unwashed BMC drinkers.

* - Note: the "unwashed" is a tongue in cheek statement.

Right now, I would focus more on getting the process down and finding a few recipes that you enjoy. You'll play hell trying to please everyone else. Just brew what you like to drink and keep some BMC in the fridge for those who don't enjoy craft brew. With that said, if you have the capability to brew lagers, a light lager or even a Kolsch would probably be what you are looking for in the way of an all around crowd pleaser.

check out the "my friends are sheep" thread. both for the answer to your question and a laugh...

If you take a look in the recipe section under "American Ale", you will find some very popular long-running discussions of successful recipes. I'm thinking of Biermuncher's "Centennial Blonde", and EdWort's "Haus Pale Ale." I have made both, and they were both very popular. They will taste like"beer" to the non-craft-drinking people, but with the unmistakeable quality and flavor of a well-construded and well-brewed recipe.

Cheers!

I think brown ales strike a pretty good balance between accessibility and sophistication. Maybe a wheat, since summer is coming up?

I think brown ales strike a pretty good balance between accessibility and sophistication. Maybe a wheat, since summer is coming up?

I'm a brown ale guy, and most BMC drinekrs I know turn their noses up at them. Wheat might be another good option, though.

I agree on the brown ale. Keep it small though (OG: 1.045-1.048) and aim for an English style (more malty, less hoppy). Think New Castle. I've never met anyone who did not like New Castle.

I agree on the brown ale. Keep it small though (OG: 1.045-1.048) and aim for an English style (more malty, less hoppy). Think New Castle. I've never met anyone who did not like New Castle.

Yep. Whenever I hear someone say they don't like dark beers, I ask if they've tried Newcastle. It's not the greatest beer, of course, but it's very easy to drink. A lot of people are too easily scared by color, I think.

check out the "my friends are sheep" thread. both for the answer to your question and a laugh...

:ban: Yeah, I went and read that thread after I posted up.......good one to sit back and eat some popcorn. I wanted to stay away from sheeple references in my post because I have been known to enjoy a nice refreshing "silver bullet" or the "champagne of beers". Sort of like the pot calling the kettle black. :)

There were some good answers though. I can't say I have drank a lot of Kolsch, but I am going to have to go and buy one to refresh my memory as that might be a good alternate beer for guests.

A Newcastle clone might be a good option too. I haven't had a Newcastle in such a long time I'll need to pick up one of those up too to refresh my tastebud memory.

Thanks everyone.

you're not going to please the masses with a wheat or a brown ale.

you'll have to ease them in with light pales or lagers. both pose problems for new brewers.

Check out the SWMBO Slayer in the recipes section - many have tried it, all have been slain.

Back