a bee in my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublimenal

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just started cooking my wart outside due to the smell it leaves inside the house, I started brewing and noticed allot of bees drawn to my beer immediatley they were flying all over the place probally becuase of the sweet smell. I thought to myself man what if one landed inside my wart... A week later when its done fermenting I start siphoning it to the secondary when I get to the bottom of the batch what do i see? A bee stuck in the sedement! Is this batch bad now? Safe to drink? I tasted it and it was awesome but I dont know if its going to ruin it in the long run.

:mug:
Thanks

edit: a bee in my beer lol

It is safe to drink and added a little extra protein to help your beer along. As for having a bug in your beer, a bee is a pretty benign one. :D

Not 30 minutes ago I watched an older episode of "Three Sheets" on Fine Living Network. Great show. Anyway, it was the Tanzania show, and the host was invited to a mudhut village where they gave him something which translated to "bee brew". In it the villagers used water, honey straight from the hive WITH BEES IN IT!, boiled it up, added ash-covered aloe roots and hot coals to the "fermentation bucket", and set it aside to ferment. Looked absolutely wicked...

Anyway, I had to laugh when I saw your post. "Only one bee? Bah." :D

haha great guys - good to know i didnt ruin a batch. A little piece of me would've died. And thats crazy about the fermented honey lol, I will have to try that theres plenty of bees around here

I just started cooking my wart outside

Hey, just FYI, it's not WART, it's WORT. But it's pronounced WERT. I know, what a name for something which becomes so delicious... Sorry to nitpick, though. :mug:

BTW, what kind of brew did you end up making?

Had a buddy of mine that was boiling his Stout in the Garage. While we were rationalizing about life's mysteries and drinking Beer, a Dragon Fly DIVE BOMBED into the keetle. I'm talking straight Kamakazied the keetle. Right into the Boiling Wort. Hence, he named it "Dragon Fly Stout".

All in all, if anything like that gets into your Boil, no need to worry as you are boiling it and it will most probably sanitize. Brew on Wayne!!!

hopefully he didn't drink too much of it before he passed out....

i've had a couple brews that ended up with a june bug or 2 floating in the primary at bottling time.... nothing to worry about, both turned out great.

hopefully he didn't drink too much of it before he passed out....

i've had a couple brews that ended up with a june bug or 2 floating in the primary at bottling time.... nothing to worry about, both turned out great.

I saw a cooking show @ 2mos ago (Andrew Zimmer I think) where he was reviewing a cooking contest in a town using mostly bugs in recipes. The June Bug casserole won. You might bee onto something.

Back