90 minute boils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
I am going to be doing a pliny the elder kit I got from morebeer.com.
I need to do a 90 minute boil.

I always start with 6.5 gallons of wort (pre-boil) and end with 5 gallons after a 60 minute boil. My question is, How should I handle a 90 minute boil? Do I just top off with some RO water? Do I use more water in mash?:confused::confused::confused:

I would use more water in the mash. I'd add another 1/2 gallon and see where that gets you. Keep good notes so you know next time.

I'll second(third?) what others are saying. I generally do 90 minute boils for my IPA's and will add extra spathe water to to make up for the extra boil off. Plus I find that with the larger AG batches the extra water helps rinse out a lot more of the sugars.

Gduck said:
I'll second(third?) what others are saying. I generally do 90 minute boils for my IPA's and will add extra spathe water to to make up for the extra boil off. Plus I find that with the larger AG batches the extra water helps rinse out a lot more of the sugars.

About how much extra sparge water do you use? I know it varies but I'm just trying to get an idea.

Thanks to all for the help.

About how much extra sparge water do you use? I know it varies but I'm just trying to get an idea.

Thanks to all for the help.

If your boil off is consistent based on your numbers above, you'll need 7.25 gallons to end up with 5 gallons after 90 minutes. So another .75 gallons sparge water would be needed ( the grain has pretty much absorbed all the water it's going to at that point so what you put in usually come out).

Pliny has a ton of hops so I would shoot for a little more volume because there is going to be a lot of trub. It would hurt to have a little DME handy in case you gravity is lower due to the extra water volume too.

stevo155 said:
If your boil off is consistent based on your numbers above, you'll need 7.25 gallons to end up with 5 gallons after 90 minutes. So another .75 gallons sparge water would be needed ( the grain has pretty much absorbed all the water it's going to at that point so what you put in usually come out).

Pliny has a ton of hops so I would shoot for a little more volume because there is going to be a lot of trub. It would hurt to have a little DME handy in case you gravity is lower due to the extra water volume too.

Thanks stevo 155. I will give this a shot. As others have said I will be sure to keep good notes for future 90 minute boils.

What do you, or the Pliny clone for that matter, boil IPA batches for 90 rather than 60? Is it just to get a little more utilization out of the 1st addion hops? I typically do 90 minute boils when using pilsner malts.

More sparge water means more sugars rinsed from grain. If you final volume is the same because of a longer boil you'll get a higher original gravity.

Just a note: be sure your final runnings don't drop much below 1.010 or you risk extracting tannins.

What do you, or the Pliny clone for that matter, boil IPA batches for 90 rather than 60? Is it just to get a little more utilization out of the 1st addion hops? I typically do 90 minute boils when using pilsner malts.

Yup, I do the longer boils simply to get every last scrap of utilization out of those hops. I know the utilization gain between 60 to 90 minutes isn't that big, but I'd rather use extra water than extra hops to hit my numbers. Something I guess I just picked up with some people I used to brew with and stuck with me.

Latest posts

Back