9 month hiatus: what to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gildal

Reaction score
My wife and I are starting to think about building our family, which leads the question, what do we do with our equipment for 9 months? Sure, I could keep brewing, but that just seems cruel as she loves the process as much as I do.

So first direction, are there other things that are great to make with brewing equipment, like soda or ginger ale or anything else?

Or conversely, what could I make that would take many, many months (either fermenting or bottle aging) to be ready to drink as a celebration?

A Rauchbier.

My wife helps with brewing, but isn't a drinker.

Maybe your Misses could do the same during the pregnancy? Or you could make a pact and not drink but brew together still?

It'd keep you guys doing something together that's along the lines of normalcy of what you've already grown to do together.

I think a lot of people make to many changes as they move forward with starting a family and get "lost" in the process if that makes sense. Try to continue to enjoy the things you do now, even if it means minor accommodations (like not drinking during the term).

Why stop? She can still be involved in the process and she can still drink some while she's in the family way. Just not so much drinking that she gets hammered.

I see no point to stop brewing but if she is going to be upset that she cannot drink and you don't want to rock the boat, then brew a big beer once and wait. You can make root beer and such if you want, or just put your stuff away (dry) for 9 months.

I would think that once the baby comes you'd have less time for brewing than while she's pregnant.
There's nothing wrong the process, except maybe if she;s the one lifting 5+gallons of brewing liquor, wort or fermenting / fermented beer.
Even while pregnant, most authorities these days agree that an occasional drink (nothing heavy duty, or more than one or 2 a week) is OK.

A woman in our homebrew club continued to brew while she was pregnant. She had a few bottles that were ready to go the day she came home from the hospital. Think she was really looking forward to that when the last trimester came around.

I foresee a barleywine, imperial stout, or tripel in your future

I gotta agree with this. Do some of these hard time agers during this time so that you are stocked up after the 9 months. Add a porter to the mix!

If you keg, keg up some home made juice or make some rootbeer

I'd make her the designated driver 😄. Seriously, you can still brew. There's nothing wrong with you having a few beers once in awhile. I would build a big pipe line of the longer aging stuff, like barleywines and lambics. maybe even make some wine that needs aged like Cabernets. Use the time to learn how to make slants so you have a yeast bank after the birth. Build a brew rig. Lots of things to do in the brewing world to make the time pass.

Wine kits use all of the same equipment, but they are usually a six gallon quantity so they won't fit in the standard carboy. You can get around this easily if you have two carboys.

Many of the decent kits suggest 6-18 months aging. This would give you something to enjoy and even make a unique gift in celebration.

I have made some great ginger beer as well.

I would think that once the baby comes you'd have less time for brewing than while she's pregnant.

This was my thought as well. I have a 6 month old girl...

I had plenty of time to brew while my wife was pregnant... Not so much after she was born. Babies take A LOT more time than a pregnant wife. A LOT.

My brewing strategy is now to brew larger batches, do more extract, and squeeze it in when the little one is sleeping (which really never happens).

I just brewed a fruit beer that will take about another 23 months before it is complete. I would say just find a nice long ageing beer to brew and get it going. Then you have something big to look forward to later.

Back