9 lb partial mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookmic5

Reaction score
So I'm planning to make a Dragon's Milk clone. I converted an all grain recipe from another thread on here. But the partial mash would be 8.75 lbs in about 2.9 gallons of water. Most partial mash recipes that I've seen go up to 6 lbs and 2 gallons. Is there a reason for that? Should I expect any problems with a larger partial mash?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm rounding your grain to 9 pounds and your water to 3 gallons which is 12 quarts. In mashing we usually talk about ratios of water to grain in terms of qts per lb of grain. 12 to 9 puts you around 1.33. Ratios of 1.25 - 1.5 are middle of the road, so you are good.

As long as your vessel is big enough for that volume of grain and water, you shouldn't have any problems at all. Other than the space it takes up, there is almost no difference at all.

In fact, the only other difference I can think of is that a larger volume mash will maintain temperature better than a smaller volume. So, that makes it easier to keep it at your mash temp for the full duration of your mash.

That's very true. Mash volume vs kettle size/head space determines heat retention ability in my experiences. I've even tried smaller kettles with smaller mashes to retain heat. hit or miss there. but 6 lbs of grain in 2 gallons of water in my 5G kettle seems to work well. I wrap it up in my quilted winter hunting coat to keep the heat in for the 1 hour mash.

Back