85 year old hop plant...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that anyone probably follows this anymore...but a mini update anyway.

Not much was done with The Beast since the last post, but it doesn't seem to have minded being mowed down to the dirt! We're gonna try to build a bigger, better trellis, but the darn Beast just keeps gobbling up every available bit of real estate it can gets bines on. I've been so busy that I really haven't learned much else, other than that I don't think that I could kill this thing if I had too anyway, it will outlive us all and inherit the Earth when we're gone. I did take pictures of it after it first discovered the trellis, I'm just not sure where I stored them at the moment...

Remember the east coast of the USA was the hop belt for years until a disease wiped them mostly out in the 20's or 30's I believe. Then the growing region became the NW of the US. If you want to come up to Halifax to see what I do pm me. I would love to have some rhizomes from that plant just to see what it is and how it grows. It probably survived the "blight" somehow. Want to trade?

found this on the web from USA hops.

Hop production in America followed closely the settlement of the first colonies in the New England areas. Early American brewers used wild hops, but the cultivation of hops in the old world had progressed to "industry status" and soon moved to the new world. After growing hops in New England and Virginia, the center of hop production moved to New York State by the middle 1800s. Problems with powdery mildew practically wiped out the production of hops in New York about 1909. The region revived again around 1920 with the discovery of sulfur-based fungicides only to be devastated again in the late 1920s by downy mildew.

This is definitely one of the most interesting threads I have read. Would love to see some new pics of the the new trellis and the progress. I agree with one of the previous posts that for a plant that old may be worth getting it tested to find out what it is. Keep the info coming!

Cheers

Remember the east coast of the USA was the hop belt for years until a disease wiped them mostly out in the 20's or 30's I believe. Then the growing region became the NW of the US. If you want to come up to Halifax to see what I do pm me. I would love to have some rhizomes from that plant just to see what it is and how it grows. It probably survived the "blight" somehow. Want to trade?

found this on the web from USA hops.

Hop production in America followed closely the settlement of the first colonies in the New England areas. Early American brewers used wild hops, but the cultivation of hops in the old world had progressed to "industry status" and soon moved to the new world. After growing hops in New England and Virginia, the center of hop production moved to New York State by the middle 1800s. Problems with powdery mildew practically wiped out the production of hops in New York about 1909. The region revived again around 1920 with the discovery of sulfur-based fungicides only to be devastated again in the late 1920s by downy mildew.

Great info

Although I'm a few years late to the party, I'm still interested in an 88 year old hope plant, and what it would look like on a booster sized trellis. My 3rd year nuggets root ball was the size of a 20 gallon pot. Times 29....:O holy smokes!

Was it ever determined which variety? I wonder what the yield is on this bad boy every year. It's pretty amazing that this thing is the same age as my grandmother, has seen and survived the great depression, a few military conflicts, a world war, and I'm sure several harsh and brutal winters.

Considering this thread was started in 2011, the plant is now more like 88 - about the same age as my Dad (he is 89). That's pretty cool.

Would love to see an updated picture!

Wow this is an amazing story. I hope that life slows down enough so you can tame that Beast!

This is awesome, I wonder if you could send some cones this year to hopunion or someone out in yakima for analysis? I'm sure they would be happy to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not that anyone probably follows this anymore...but a mini update anyway.

Not much was done with The Beast since the last post, but it doesn't seem to have minded being mowed down to the dirt! We're gonna try to build a bigger, better trellis, but the darn Beast just keeps gobbling up every available bit of real estate it can gets bines on. I've been so busy that I really haven't learned much else, other than that I don't think that I could kill this thing if I had too anyway, it will outlive us all and inherit the Earth when we're gone. I did take pictures of it after it first discovered the trellis, I'm just not sure where I stored them at the moment...

treegirl, your first line indicates that you are not aware of the insanity that reigns in the HBT world. Just your little mini update has spurred 30 additional comments to this thread. Those of us who are subb'd are perched on the edge of our chairs hoping for just a few more words, or *gasp* maybe a couple of pics. Yes we are an odd bunch, and you have now become our latest hero - worthy of our adoration. You walk as a giant among us. Write and share with us, that we might bask in a tiny ray of your glory!

treegirl, your first line indicates that you are not aware of the insanity that reigns in the HBT world. Just your little mini update has spurred 30 additional comments to this thread. Those of us who are subb'd are perched on the edge of our chairs hoping for just a few more words, or *gasp* maybe a couple of pics. Yes we are an odd bunch, and you have now become our latest hero - worthy of our adoration. You walk as a giant among us. Write and share with us, that we might bask in a tiny ray of your glory!

I want one rhizome what do I have to do legally? I wont even tell my wife.

treegirl, your first line indicates that you are not aware of the insanity that reigns in the hbt world. Just your little mini update has spurred 30 additional comments to this thread. Those of us who are subb'd are perched on the edge of our chairs hoping for just a few more words, or *gasp* maybe a couple of pics. Yes we are an odd bunch, and you have now become our latest hero - worthy of our adoration. You walk as a giant among us. Write and share with us, that we might bask in a tiny ray of your glory!

+1

here's an idea to make this story even better. Seeing so many people want rhizomes, how about if someone that has moldy money that lives nears this hop plant, offer to go out there and resurrect this plant? Build a trellis and all?

Back