805 or similar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mggray87

Reaction score
Anybody want to critique this? I found one online. Adapted to my batch size and altered the ibu and color and tweaked to get around 5% alc which I want. Any issues or change recommendations?
Screenshot_20231128-193358.png

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks the Emperor ain't got no clothes?

What are we critiquing?
Lmfao I just noticed I didn't post the screenshot! Hahah my fault @gunhaus

Photo added!

Obviously go back and forth tweak and re tweak and re tweak.im hoping it finishes at a slightly higher gravity to be around 5% or so. My red ale i used 001 and it finished at 1.014 instead of the 1.010 it was saying

805 doesn't have honey malt in it that I can tell or have seen but from experience, that will be a good beer.
I brewed the one I linked too, and put it next to an 805 and both my brother and I said they were both pretty spot on, so maybe they are using something similar? I don't know, but I brewed it and it turned out good and the only real difference was the color of mine was a bit darker I think. But, that has been the case for most of the "clone" beers I have tried. I might put this one on my list to do soon. It was pretty good, and I am getting a bit burned out on IPA's.

I brewed the one I linked too, and put it next to an 805 and both my brother and I said they were both pretty spot on, so maybe they are using something similar? I don't know, but I brewed it and it turned out good and the only real difference was the color of mine was a bit darker I think. But, that has been the case for most of the "clone" beers I have tried. I might put this one on my list to do soon. It was pretty good, and I am getting a bit burned out on IPA's.
I'm brewing it on Monday or Tuesday depending on how hard it is to clean my unitanks after I keg them this weekend. First batch so first clean coming up! Dressing taking off every tri clamp and fitting/spunding valve. It's gonna be a long day!

I'm brewing it on Monday or Tuesday depending on how hard it is to clean my unitanks after I keg them this weekend. First batch so first clean coming up! Dressing taking off every tri clamp and fitting/spunding valve. It's gonna be a long day!
My brew days seem to run about a full day. From getting everything together, working up the recipe and brewing then the cleaning of the pot and all the little stuff. Of course, most of those days include drinking my own beer so I bet I slow down considerably because of that. LOL. I am planning on brewing today if I can get the garage somewhat cleaned out.

You're right just brew it as the recipe reads. You can always tweak it if need the next time. Everyone has a different opinion of what's appropriate in every recipe but in the end it'll probably come out fine and be drinkable.

Good luck and have fun brewing!

After brewing the beer Monday. I just now noticed as I was looking at my tilt pro. Beersmith says final gravity 1.011. It's slowing but it's at 1.010 right now per my easydens. Do I just let it finish or do I crash it to stop it. I don't want to prematurely stop anything and have off flavors or anything.

Secondly. I'm a dummy. Just this morning after pulling a sample. I said hm this looks cloudy. 805 isn't. Realized I used .75lb flaked wheat. Not wheat malt. Errrrrrr

Letting it sit for a few more days isn't going to hurt anything or change your outcome, even if the gravity drops a little more.

With my conical fermenter, after I hit the final gravity I'll dump the yeast from the bottom valve then let it sit for a couple more days before transferring it to kegs.

Letting it sit for a few more days isn't going to hurt anything or change your outcome, even if the gravity drops a little more.

With my conical fermenter, after I hit the final gravity I'll dump the yeast from the bottom valve then let it sit for a couple more days before transferring it to kegs.
So at 1.010 it's at 4.9%. Higher than I wanted. Hoping it sits and clears up. .75lbs for 7.5g finished beer isn't much flaked wheat. So hoping it clears and not so cloudy. Here is my sample

I'll dump so yeast. I usually let it sit for 1 week then cold crash one week. That's what I did with my last two. But this one already hit 1.010 and I brewed it Monday morning.
Screenshot_20231207-084047~2.png
PXL_20231207_163800676.jpg

For some reason that looks a tad light to me, but it has been a while since I brewed that recipe. I am thinking I have to give it a go again to add something other than IPA's to my supply. Your ABV isn't that bad, at least not to me. According to your graph you are pretty much spot on with it. I have let mine sit in the fermenting bucket for a week or two extra if I remember right and had no issues. Bottle it up, or keg it up when you can and post the results. I am interested to see how it goes.

After cold crashing it should clear up more. You're probably seeing some cloudiness just from the yeast. In the end unless you're entering your brew into competition slight cloudiness isn't going to affect your brew.

I've had wheat brews with 25 plus percent wheat clear up a lot after being on tap for awhile.

An ale can ferment quick so four days isn't that unusual. How does your sample taste?

Your outcome against the recipe seems fine. The small differences you note don't seem that far off. There's going to be discrepancies when using a measuring tool against what software says.

An ale can ferment quick so four days isn't that unusual. How does your sample taste?

Your outcome against the recipe seems fine. The small differences you note don't seem that far off. There's going to be discrepancies when using a measuring tool against what software says.
I always hate flat beer lol. So it taste bland lol always until it's cold crashed

Well I just dumped a nice amount of yeast and trub from dump port. Gonna let it sit few more days before crashing for a week. We'll see how it ends up color wise. I'll keep updating on here for anyone that's interested in my brew and recipe I chose to try

Most definitely lighter in color. Same color as the hazy I made before this. Oh well. Maybe it turns out delicious or atleast drinkable

Last edited:
you realize now you have to send us samples so we can really tell you how well it came out, right?!
i mean, I do have a duofiller and a cannular.... so I really dont have an excuse LOL.. but Id be embarassed to send my batches LOL. im a rook!

Please do let us know how it is. I'm sure it'll be just fine.

With my beers I plan 7-10 days in the fermenter, two weeks is fine too. After kegging, three weeks before I can pull a nice pour.

Back