8 Month Old Wyeast Smack Pack Requires Blow Off Hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmegoodbeer

Reaction score
I ended up with an 8 month old Wyeast Smack Pack of kolsch yeast (did not look at date when bought it at lhbs) and I about dumped it down the sink bc the packet says "not reccomended to use after 6 months". I called my lhbs and they told me they would give me a new one the next time I came in. I decided to experiment with a starter to see if I can build up some yeast growth. Home brew Dad's calculator estimated that I would need to step up the starter 4 times just to get 250 billion cells! I started with a small 2 cup startee and then stepped it up to a 2 liter starter about 2 days later (spent that time contemplating on dumping it out). I then noticed that i was definitely getting some yeast growth as there was a nice thick layer of yeast in my flask. I cold crashed it, decanted it, and pitched it hoping I had enough yeast. 24 hours later and nothing. I then take a look at my air lock and noticed that it was not that full of water. I fill it up more and BOOM. Its bubbling. Who knows when it started, but this morning i was 1 minute away from driving to my lhbs and getting more yeast just in case it didnt take off. 4 hours after I confirm fermentation is underway, I take a look in my ferm. Chamber and my airlock is full of krausen and its dripping down the side of my fermenter! I had to run a blow off hose! This said to be dead yeast is causing a vigorous fermentation! Moral of the story: don't give up on your yeasties. Give them a chance and they shall suprise you!
Below is a pic and a video for you. Cheers :)

IMG_4740.jpg

View attachment trim.20DC9D9C-08A3-45C5-BB24-AD6548B005C0.MOV

Yep. I call BS on the expiration dates. According to the calcs, you should have no yeast. You're also in danger of a mortal sin and treason if you try to use it.

Should be fine!

I've committed a worse sin. I smacked an eight month old pack of Wyeast 1318 and it swelled tight in about a day, so I direct pitched it (!) into an oatmeal stout. It was bubbling steadily within 12 hours, and finished before 5 days (I was away).

I've got two packs of Omega Hothead unopened right at a year old. They were given to me by the store owner. Going to try tossing both packs in a small starter (non stir plate for the first step) tonight just to see what happens. If it works then YAY! If not then no loss short of a small starter

I just brewed an AIPA usin Imperial A62 Bell's House Yeast with a MFG date of March 2019. Made two 2-liter starters and had no issues with fermentation.

Built a 500ml 1.020 starter last night and the yeast was pretty much done fermenting by the time I left the house this morning. That Kveik yeast is nuts! Next step up is 1L 1.020. I expect that'll chew through that no problem and fast! Was going to use wlp001 for the next brew but if this stuff is really this nutty I may just pitch it in the brew this weekend instead.

You may want to read up on kveik - probably don't need that second step. Not only will it ferment somewhat cleanly at high (up to about 100F) temps, but also at unbelievably low pitch rates. Some people say a tablespoon or less for a 5-gallon batch, depending on the strain.

I pitched a vial of WLP004 Irish Ale last night with a "Best before April 22, 2015" that spent about 4 hours at 80F when purchased, and then has seen some temp swings since I've owned it because of storage fridge losing power, etc...

Nevertheless I pitched it in to a 200ml 1.030 starter around 10pm last night. Checked on it when I got home from work today about 4:30pm and there was a small Krausen ring. Going to do a 500ml step tomorrow morning before leaving for work, and then going to brew a small 2 gallon batch with it on Friday! I plan to top crop at high krausen.

:mug:

Wow! Yeast is tough stuff.
To be clear, I don't recommend that anyone mistreat their yeast (that's cruel) or take chances with their ferment. But sometimes you can get away with it.

Back