8 gal to bottle but only 5 gal bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkashiiBrew

Only drink when your all alone or with somebody el
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Help, I made almost 8 gallons of Bad Santa but only have a standard 5 gallon bottling bucket.
choice 1, Bottle 5 gallons an keg the 3 is gallons...

Choice 2, Boil water in my boil kettle for an hour and re-circ with my pump to kill all the baddies, then drain, cool and starsan the the thing and use it to bottle.

I want low risk, high reward. I spent too much grain and time making this killer of good judgement.

Does your bottling bucket have volume markings? Add sugar for 5G, rack *only* 5G into bottling bucket. Repeat for 3G.

Or

keg 5G then bottle the remaining 3G.

Those 2 options seem the simplest to me.

why did I not think of the easy answer? duh, I overthink and overplan. I'm not sure on the exact amount I have to bottle over 5 gallons but I can prepeare boiled sugar for bottling for say 4 gallons and reduce as needed depending on the "2nd fill"... I am also the guy with 5 propane tanks just in case....

Is there a reason you can't just star san your kettle and use that? I don't get the boiling for an hour just to use it as a bottling container.

You don't need to boil for an hour to sanitise your kettle, getting it to a boil will do it. I have had to do it a few times when I got too ambitious with my brewing and fermented in my bottling bucket.

I just StarSan'd my kettle back in the day when i had a similar scenario, didn't have any problems.

Back