8 days and still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncoutroulis

Reaction score
Been 8 days today and the airlock is still bubbling, about every :10. Is this about right for fermentation? It's 5 gals in a carboy

Thanks

Yea sounds normal. Depending on yeast strain and temperature, the airlock could keep going for a week or 2, or it could stop after 2 days. Is there still visible activity inside the carboy?

What strain of yeast? What is the current temperature?

IMO, airlocks are not very good indications of fermentation. Many people assume it is finished when the bubbles stop, but activity still occurs afterward. My brews get about 3 weeks before I bottle. But it's all based on gravity readings, not so much time.

It could be. What yeast and what temperature. Low temperature will make it take longer.

I would say to wait until day 10 - 14 then take a gravity reading, wait at least 24 hours and take another reading. If they are the same, fermentation is done. Then you can make a decision. It is safe to bottle or you can wait longer if it is not fully clear.

Many will tell you to never bottle in less than 3 weeks, that it needs the time to clean up off flavors.

I usually go 3 weeks and often longer, mostly from procrastination. (I will keg it tomorrow...) When I need to get a beer going I will keg at 14 days. I have not had any off flavors when kegging earlier.

Slow and low is good!

I've had beer slowly fermenting for 3-4 weeks, looked like it would never stop. But also had it completely done in 6 days flat, same temps.

I typically let them be for 3 weeks before even peeking inside (buckets, grommet hole). You can't rush beer, it's on its own schedule.

Thanks all

This is only my second batch

Yeast was Wyeast 2112 and temp is probably around 66-68 range.

This weekend will be two weeks in primary fermenter, so maybe I'll take a reading then and see.

As far as visible activity, there's a good amount of krausen on top.

Thanks again

I wouldnt take a sample until the krausen drops and the activity inside pretty much stops..if there is yeast or other particles swirling around in suspension then its not done.. It needs more time.

Thanks. That's good to know. So all that krausen should go away before I open the airlock and take a sample?

Thanks. That's good to know. So all that krausen should go away before I open the airlock and take a sample?

Actually you should wait longer, until the beer starts to clear a bit. The yeast is still cleaning up, conditioning, and improving your beer. There's no point in testing it sooner, and risk infection. It simply isn't done yet.

I recently used Wyeast 1388 for a Belgian Dark Strong and it was bubbling consistently for about 2 weeks. All yeast strains are different.. you are fine. But one of the keys to making a good beer is to be patient. Let it go for a couple more weeks before you mess with it.

Been 8 days today and the airlock is still bubbling, about every :10. Is this about right for fermentation? It's 5 gals in a carboy

Thanks

I am still bubbling at 3 weeks!

take readings and Just let it be,

Patience patience my young padiwan. The beer will be done when the beer is done, not when your brew schedule says it should be done.

Yeast is shy. It doesn't like to be oggled at. How would you like it if in the middle of ah.... er..... procreation..... someone tore the roof off your bedroom and peered inside asking if you were through yet? What's the rush? if you're anxious to do something it's time to start planing the next batch!!!

thanks again everyone. ill be waiting...

+1^

Get another fermentor and start a new batch. Buckets are cheap, come with a handle, and work as well as carboys for as far as the beer is concerned. Way easier to clean too.

Without lifting the bucket's lid, you can snake a skinny 1/4" tube down the grommet hole (after removing the airlock) and siphon some beer out for testing, in case you were wondering.

+1^

Get another fermentor and start a new batch. Buckets are cheap, come with a handle, and work as well as carboys for as far as the beer is concerned. Way easier to clean too.

Without lifting the bucket's lid, you can snake a skinny 1/4" tube down the grommet hole (after removing the airlock) and siphon some beer out for testing, in case you were wondering.

Thanks!

my kit actually came with a carboy, bucket and bottling bucket. Maybe ill try a 3rd batch soon. hopefully this one will come out OK—i have my doubts...

thanks though

Thanks!

my kit actually came with a carboy, bucket and bottling bucket. Maybe ill try a 3rd batch soon. hopefully this one will come out OK—i have my doubts...

thanks though

As long as your sanitation is meticulous, it will be fine, relax. I mentioned buckets since there are dangers related to working with glass carboys, and they are hard to clean. So please be extremely careful when handling them.

Your beer still needs a week or 2 before you can bottle it (yes, really). Then another 2-3 weeks for it to carbonate. That's why it's good to stagger your brews, so you don't have to wait as long next time.

Thanks all

This is only my second batch

Yeast was Wyeast 2112 and temp is probably around 66-68 range.

This weekend will be two weeks in primary fermenter, so maybe I'll take a reading then and see.

As far as visible activity, there's a good amount of krausen on top.

Thanks again

"We are the yeasts, of the temples of Syrinx..." (sorry, couldn't help myself, though now I have an urge to make a beer using that and use some Rush joke in naming it...)
As long as things are still happening, let them go.
Though call me crazy, but isn't that a lager yeast? generally they prefer a bit lower temps than that...
(ETA, just looked it up and that strain doesn't mind a bit warmer than average for lagers)
Anyways, Lager yeasts generally are a bit slower than ale ones, so I wouldn't really worry at this point.

Not to hijack the thread, but on the topic of still bubbling:

I have a 1 gallon jug of ale which was separated from the bucket. While the bucket has slowed, the just is still bubbling away at a temp of 66F.
I can even seen the tiny bubbles (song now stuck in my head!!!) rising to the top.
The last SG reading was 1.010
Is this still fermenting or just degassing?

"We are the yeasts, of the temples of Syrinx..." (sorry, couldn't help myself, though now I have an urge to make a beer using that and use some Rush joke in naming it...)
Though call me crazy, but isn't that a lager yeast? generally they prefer a bit lower temps than that...
(ETA, just looked it up and that strain doesn't mind a bit warmer than average for lagers)
Anyways, Lager yeasts generally are a bit slower than ale ones, so I wouldn't really worry at this point.

Like the Rush reference :)

its indeed a lager yeast, but what's odd (i think) is that i'm brewing a brown ale—Anchor Brekle's clone, allegedly but this is what the guy at the LHBS gave me.

part of my concern for hoping it will actually turn out drinkable.

stay tuned

lol.. Nice Rush reference

This is the temperature of the carboy. Says the sticker thermometer on the side

^^ ok, good. that's at the higher end, but still within range for that yeast. My advice: Let it do its thing for at least another week, so 3 weeks in primary, and then take a reading.

Here's an update:

This Sunday will be 3 weeks in primary. It's still bubbling away at the same rate, about every:10 or so. Haven't taken a reading yet. Should I do so this weekend? Or wait for bubbling to stop completely?

Thanks

Has the krausen fallen out? Can you see visual activity in the carboy?

There still is krausen on the top of the worth. Haven't checked to see if there's any other activity—the wort is pretty dark, so can't really see much going on in it.

Put a light up to it for a second. It there is still yeast swirling around then i would wait longer.

Start washing your bottles. If you are as lazy/slow as I am, it will take you 1.5 weeks before you are ready to bottle. The yeast MIGHT be done by then.

Here's an update:

This Sunday will be 3 weeks in primary. It's still bubbling away at the same rate, about every:10 or so. Haven't taken a reading yet. Should I do so this weekend? Or wait for bubbling to stop completely?

Thanks

It could be weeks before all the bubbling stops. The only way to know if the beer is done is to use your hydrometer.

Put a light up to it for a second. It there is still yeast swirling around then i would wait longer.

i attached a couple pics.

can't see anything, the beer is too dark, but here's what the krausen looks like, hope its not infected!

the krausen seems to be floating on top of the wort, and is fairly dense.

thoughts???

thanks

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

I would dump that one for sure, too scary looking for me.
That looks like mold on top.

not what i wanted to hear...its still bubbling, if that means anything. i looked up infected beer and couldn't find anything that looked like this. most images look like bacteria growing in a peatry dish...
This actually looks more like real krausen. if i take a gravity reading, and its lower, does that mean anything?

thanks

I really cant say. Never had a beer ferment like that. I have used s05 yeast and had it work for 8-10 days but not looking like that.
Who knows.. It might be fine. Take a big sniff and if it smells like beer.. Drink it.

I really cant say. Never had a beer ferment like that. I have used s05 yeast and had it work for 8-10 days but not looking like that.
Who knows.. It might be fine. Take a big sniff and if it smells like beer.. Drink it.

thanks
it didn't smell bad, i was smelling through the airlock and i would think that if it were bad, it would give off a pretty bad smell (from what i've been reading).

tomorrow ill take a gravity reading and compare to OG.

Those are called yeast floats or yeast rafts. They will fall out and clear up like a normal beer. Keep in mind that your brew is probably perfectly fine. The alcohol levels in the brew will kill off anything "growing" in your brew. Like everyone has been saying... RDWHAHB and plan your next beer.

Those are called yeast floats or yeast rafts. They will fall out and clear up like a normal beer. Keep in mind that your brew is probably perfectly fine. The alcohol levels in the brew will kill off anything "growing" in your brew. Like everyone has been saying... RDWHAHB and plan your next beer.

thanks! hope you're right :)
I've moved it to a slightly cooler place now. its still bubbling away, about every :10 or so. should I take a reading tomorrow? or is it likely that its still fermenting? tomorrow will be 3 weeks in carboy, but fermentation actually started showing signs 3 days in.

thanks

62.gif
49.gif

thanks! hope you're right :)

I've moved it to a slightly cooler place now. its still bubbling away, about every :10 or so. should I take a reading tomorrow? or is it likely that its still fermenting? tomorrow will be 3 weeks in carboy, but fermentation actually started showing signs 3 days in.

thanks

Personally I always go 3 weeks. If it's a big beer say a porter or stout I'll age it for a few months. Just my opinion.... 3 weeks is my limit and I bottle afterwards. My vote is to bottle away and get ready to drink in 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back