8.45GAL Kettle for 6GAL batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontrol

Reaction score
I make 6GAL (23L) batches. I'm about to buy a 8.45GAL(32L) SS kettle (2 holes, 1 for probe, 1 valve) for 32$ (about 50$ with the probe and valve).

Would that be enough for the batch I make? Any Pros and cons?

I use a 9 gallon kettle. I start with around 6.5-6.75 gallons... if you are starting with more than 7, you'd have to keep a very close eye out for a boil over when you start your boil, but apart from that I think it should work fine.

Not big enough.

I use an 8 gallon kettle and I make 5 gallon batches. It's barely big enough and I can only do a 60 minute boil.

Wow, that's a great price.
I have a 7G BK, and I usually fill it to the 6.5 G mark, so I can have 5.25G in my fermenter. You do have to keep a close eye on the initial boil for the hotbreak, but in 5 batches with it, I haven't had a boilover. Used FermcapS in it for the 1st time this past weekend. Stuff does work!

YES, you can use it, just be careful. I have done TONS of 60 minute boils with my 7.5 gallon, you just have to be very careful with the hot break and 1st hop addition.

Thank for the help guys. I think I'll finally buy a 13.75GAL kettle since the price difference won't be so different because of all the other parts (valve, prob etc). This way I'll be ready for 10GAL batches whenever I want :)

Thank for the help guys. I think I'll finally buy a 13.75GAL kettle since the price difference won't be so different because of all the other parts (valve, prob etc). This way I'll be ready for 10GAL batches whenever I want :)

You could also buy a Keggle :D

Not sure you want to be boiling around 12+ gallons in that kettle.

Back