77 hop varieties in one beer - this is just getting silly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lonerider is one of the local Breweries here, and they make some great beers. Shotgun Betty is one of my favorite Hefeweizens. As much as I love a good hoppy beer, I don't know about this one though. Seems like overkill on the surface. I will try it if I can get a hold of one though.

Interesting. I may have to try this one out too. I don't imagine it will be over the top at only 77 IBU and 7.7%. It's just a gimmick. I wonder if there will be any Hop completing or if it will just all meld together.

They should have just went with 7 varieties. How many varieties end up being interchangeable anyway?

Craft beer is getting really gimmicky. I get they're trying to stick out and do something but everyone should just concentrate on making really good beer. Too many nanos making sub par beer. I've never had anything from these guys though... just speaking as a whole.

My house DIPA I call "Old 82" since it is 1.082 OG, 8.2% ABV, 82 IBU and 8.2 SRM. Maybe I'll have to start brewing it with 82 hop varieties :D

I imagine it could taste good, but not because they used 77 hop varieties. I made a Double IPA that used 9 different hop varieties and I thought that I was going overboard there. 77? I don't think anyone would disagree that that's just a gimmick.

Breweries get a lot of free hops in small amounts. They probably had a ton of experimental hops lying around getting old. Although throwing them all together will make them all indistinguishable.

Unfortunately, "Hop Stoopid" was already taken.
For sure that's going to be an epically muddled mess, and I have a feeling the brewers don't know how it'll turn out...

Cheers!

Their gimmick worked..... We are talking about their beer!! Never heard of the brewery until now....

Thought about something like this yesterday. I have a lot of hops. Some are getting pretty old. The idea was an IPA using a little of everything I have. No where near 77 varieties though.

I'd give one a try. I would expect it to be a very hoppy, nondescript IPA.

Their Hefeweizen and Brown Ale are great. Have some Gold Medals from Great American Beer Festival.

It's just a play on the movie The Magnificent Seven which opens this month.

Gimmicy? Sure
Funny? Sort of
Getting their name out there? Ya you betcha!

Back