72 Hour Kit brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g33k499

Reaction score
My employer provides 72 Hour Kits that contain key meds and food items in case of an emergency.

Today we were asked, "What extra items have you add that you feel help you the most". My answer today was, "nothing added". It got me thinking, "I would need a beer in an emergency."

I know some of the hurdles I would have to overcome, but as a thought experiment. What ideas do you have that might make this (half) joke a reality.

So far I am thinking I would need a small hose for bottling, an airlock, and small vial of already made StarSan. I also assume I would want to use a swing top or PET bottle.

The real hurdles would be boiling wort and keeping hops/yeast good. Maybe a bottle of super concentrated pre-boiled wort stored in a capped bottle or just a pre-hopped extract.

Thoughts?

I'd take an ale pail and put the items inside it. Airlock, starsan, extract, vac-packed hops (or pre-hopped extract), stirring device of some sort, a little tubing (maybe a T and a hose clamp for siphoning), priming sugar and a pack of dry yeast.

I agree that heating the liquid would be the main issue. Propane is heavy and electricity hard to find in the wild. Campfire would work if you can fit a pot inside the ale pail as well (nest it, then items inside the pot). Cool the wort in a stream while you boil your top-off water. Aim for a low gravity ale so you can get a fast ferment with a pack of dry yeast.

In line with the last post, Austin Homebrew is selling Hopocolypse kits for 12/21/12 that contain all the needed ingredients and gear to make five gallons of beer.

AHS, you need to mention that the bucket can be used as a latrine when the beer is done. Dual use. Perhaps throw in a piece of plywood shaped like a horse shoe to make a toilet seat for the bucket.

Anyone here remember the old civil defense metal water cans? They had the dual use instructions printed on them. The civil defense cans were a sealed water drum that included a crapper attachment for use in fallout shelters.

In a zombie apocalypse you will need ammo and beer. If you don't have both you will not survive!

If you run short on ammo you can trade beer for ammo. If you run short on beer you can use your ammo to commandeer more beer!

In a zombie apocalypse you will need ammo and beer. If you don't have both you will not survive!

If you run short on ammo you can trade beer for ammo. If you run short on beer you can use your ammo to commandeer more beer!

I ask this of all my friends who make reference to the zombie apocalpse: You know there isn't such thing as a zombie, right?

Back