70 qt Coleman extreme cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badaboom

Reaction score
I'm ready to move into all grain brewing (I think) and am just starting to collect up some equipment. I mistakenly bought a 70 qt cooler (rectangular) when I thought I was getting a 50 quart (not paying attention).

I was looking to do just 5 gallon batches in the 50 quart cooler and have it big enough for whatever high gravity beers that I could throw at it but is the 70 quart too big? Should I just return it or keep it and do 10 gallon batches as I still need to get a big pot.

I use the 70 quart cooler for 5 gallon batches. It works great. I like having that much extra room for grains. So I'd keep it

that's no mistake, that's called flexibility.

I have the same cooler and it's perfect for 5 or 10 gal batches. Don't listen to anyone who says there's too much headspace when only doing 5 gallon batches. Just be sure to preheat the cooler with hot water before you mash in. Once it's up to temp, it's a champ.

I Have mashed 10G batches with my 70qt and even though I saw the cooler stay relatively stable, the less head space the better. I usually am No where near half full when batch sparging this size of batch.

I have heard of placing styrofoam over the grain to absorb headspace. but its not needed. I still think I could use a smaller cooler, unless I am setting up to do a no sparge single infusion mash

Get some plywood and wrap the hotwater heater insulation around it and set it 3 inch or so above the grain. Works great! I have the same cooler!

Just my opinion, I would return it for the 50 qt. A 50 will do a 10 gallon batch or a huge beer at 5 gallons. Having such a large tun makes cleaning and handling inconvenient IMHO. Most 5 gallon batches can be done in a 20 qt., so in theory it is 3 1/2 times what you need?

I use a 52qt cooler currently and tend to do 8ish gallon batches. This gives me three cases of bottles but I have 10gal cornys for fermentors which is the only reason I brew this way. Unless you want to brew 10-12 gal batches I'd get the 50qt because you will want a decent grain depth. Now if this cooler is the same L X W dimensions as the 50qt then that's not an issue because I know sometimes they just make them taller. If it's just taller, keep it.

These coolers are so well insulated that I don't think you need to do anything to protect the grain from heat loss as long as you close the lid. I've had grain stay hot overnight from the previous day when I was too lazy to clean. I'm sure it can hold a nice stable temp for 1 hr - 2 hr no problem.

I mash 5G Batches in my 48qt. Igloo Cube, I have plenty of space for a 10G (std. Gravity) batch I believe. I insulated my Cube's lid with great stuff (doesn't lose a single degree in the hour and a half I mash). I would recommend the same, also if using the 70qt for 5G batches, consider a 2"thick foam board to lay on the grains while mashing. All that headspace may lose ya a degree or two.

Back