7 weeks and counting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I bottled my first lager on 6/5 and it has yet to completely carb up and is still extremely green. It was a normal 3-4 weeks in primary, diacetyl rest, lagered at 33F for 30 days, and came out clear on bottling day. I did not add extra yeast as I thought a month wasn't long enough for all the yeast to drop out. I shake them from time to time and there is plenty of sediment in the bottles. I am just going to wait them out. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a lager take this long to carb up and mature.

There is some carbonation, so the yeasties are doing their job. I just didn't think it would take this long. Anyone had this issue before?

If there is some carbonation then yes, it's working. What temperature are the bottles sitting at? If they are lower than at least 70F then warm them up even to 80

Also, how much finished beer did you package and how much priming sugar was used? What was the OG, big beers normally take longer.

If there is some carbonation then yes, it's working. What temperature are the bottles sitting at? If they are lower than at least 70F then warm them up even to 80

Also, how much finished beer did you package and how much priming sugar was used? What was the OG, big beers normally take longer.

Wasn't a big beer at all at 54 points. I know it is just taking so long due to the lagering process and the lack of yeast in suspension versus a normal ale. They are sitting at room temp, 70-73F, all the time. I used more than enough priming sugar at 4.25 oz for a 5 gal batch. I am just ready to drink these damn beers because I know they will be good eventually. I normally don't drink any until after 3 weeks, but this is getting crazy. I will just keep on keepin on with them.

Back