7 week primary fermentation bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MChopz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have and IPA and an oatmeal stout that have been sitting in primary fermentation at room temperature for 4 weeks now. I'm going to be out of town for a while and I was wondering if I should switch them to secondary while I'm gone. They'll be in primary for a total of 7 weeks if I don't switch them. I read John Palmer's book online and it said that if it sits for more than 3 weeks post fermentation then the yeast can start to release aminos and fatty acids or even autolyse if left longer. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks!!

You'll get differing responses on autolysis at the homebrew level. My anecdotal evidence suggests it is not something to worry about, at least not for a couple months. I think it may depend on the beer/yeast used, though.

I feel autolysis would take quite a while to happen, so my main concern would be the lipids released by the yeast causing poor head retention or oxidation. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this with long fermentations. I'm also concerned about the yeast reacting with the trub or hop particles after some time. Should I be worried about any of these problems or will my beer be fine? I can rack to secondary if necessary, but I don't think I'll have time to bottle.

I wouldn't think to much about autolysis. You also need some amount of pressure, I doubt that a homebrewers fermentor generates that amount of pressure.

I left my first ale for about six weeks, didn't get any off flavors.

I heard Palmer say on a recent podcast that what he said about autolysis in his book isn't correct. He said it was a myth that he unfortunately helped to propagate. It just doesn't happen very quickly at all on the homebrew scale. If you can, I would at least bottle the IPA because the longer it sits the more hop flavor and aroma it loses. If you absolutely can't bottle then I would say it doesn't really matter if you transfer or not. It should be the same either way.

My 2 cents. I had a Hefeweizen ferment for only a week or so and when I racked to secondary the trub smelled like soap. I don't know if left alone if it would've affected the beer. The yeast I used was Wyeast 3056. So I think the yeast matters. Perhaps the flocculation matters.

I'm trying to decide to rack a weizen Dopplebock after 1 week for this reason because I used 3056.

I'm going out of town for a week and might leave it until I get back.

My other thought is the suspended yeast could finish it out in secondary. Decisions, decisions.

You also need some amount of pressure, I doubt that a homebrewers fermentor generates that amount of pressure.

Exactly. Big difference between 5 gallons of homebrew and thousands of gallons in a conical w/ 5-10 PSI of head pressure beating down on the yeast.

I would skip the secondary. I really find it to be pointless for any beer that doesnt have to condition for an extended period of time, and / or you are adding something to the beer like fruit, oak, or dry hopping. Like autolysis having to secondary or remove the beer from the main trub is another brewing urban legend.

If it were me first choice would be to bottle/keg before leaving. If you can't do that try to make a run to the LHBS and get a couple ounces (or pounds) of hops and dry hop while you're gone. Get home and bottle up that dry hopped goodnes.

I heard Palmer say on a recent podcast that what he said about autolysis in his book isn't correct. He said it was a myth that he unfortunately helped to propagate. It just doesn't happen very quickly at all on the homebrew scale. If you can, I would at least bottle the IPA because the longer it sits the more hop flavor and aroma it loses. If you absolutely can't bottle then I would say it doesn't really matter if you transfer or not. It should be the same either way.

Interesting. In the following transcript, he says that racking to a secondary is not necessary and even advises against it unless you are going to conduct a secondary fermentation.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=15108.5;wap2

Interesting. In the following transcript, he says that racking to a secondary is not necessary and even advises against it unless you are going to conduct a secondary fermentation.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=15108.5;wap2

Yep, that's pretty much exactly what I remember him saying in the podcast. Secondaries are usaully unnecessary and he now advises against them.

I notice he only makes an exception for fruit and secondary fermentations, not dry hopping. I guess he advocates dry hopping in the primary as well. I've been dry hopping in primary for a while now and it is much easier and I haven't noticed any difference from it.

Back