7 days of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkrath84

Reaction score
Until this point I've brewed only extract beers using both LME and DME and also specialty grains. I started brewing in March and I'm currently about 15 batches in. I've recently gotten the itch to try out some all grain but I've also been wanting to experiment more with hops to hone in on my ingredients. I'd like to be able to try some SMaSH batches, keeping the grain bill the same and changing only the hops.

Since I learn best by doing and repetition, I decided not to go with a split 5 gallon batch. Instead, I'll brew a 1 gallon batch every day, for 7 days (I'm not too worried about the week difference in aging). The result will be 7 different beers with the same grain bill, varying only in hops. I'm clumsy as hell, so this should be interesting.

Right now I'm looking at a pale ale with SG 1.045 and about 40 IBUs.

This experiment will begin on Monday the 19th when I get back from out of town.

What I'm looking for help with is advice on what hops to include in my experiment. Right now I know I want to play with the 3 C's and Bravo, because I have them. Thinking about Simcoe as well. Any suggestions?

Here's the recipe I came up with in BeerSmith

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 100.0 %
0.10 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 2 18.5 IBUs
0.18 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 3 16.6 IBUs
0.20 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 4 7.4 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.6 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %
Bitterness: 42.5 IBUs Calories: 158.4 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 4.0 SRM

Here's the descriptions and suggested use of each of the hops I'll be testing per hopsdirect:

Cascade:
Alpha Acid: 8.0%

Aroma hop with a pleasingly smooth flowery, citrus grapefruit, lychee fruit, pear, slight grape and woodsy aroma.

Typical Brewing Style: American Ale, Pale Ale, IPA, Porter, and Barley Wine.

Possible Substitution: Centennial or Amarillo.​

Centennial:
Alpha Acid: 11.5%.

Dual Purpose hop with crisp, clean, floral, herbal, and lemony citrus, pineapple tones.

Typical Brewing Style: American Ales, IPA's, Wheat Beers

Possible Substitution: Cascade or possibly Columbus or Chinook..​

Columbus:
Alpha Acid: 8.0%

Aroma hop with a pleasingly smooth flowery, citrus grapefruit, lychee fruit, pear, slight grape and woodsy aroma.

Typical Brewing Style: American Ale, Pale Ale, IPA, Porter, and Barley Wine.

Possible Substitution: Centennial or Amarillo.​

Bravo:
Alpha Acid: 17.1%

Bittering hop A solid well rounded hop, herbal, citrus, with a pungent yet pleasant aroma.

Typical Brewing Style: US IPA, US Pale Ale, Stout, Barley Wine, and Lager.

Possible Substitution: Chinook, Galena, or Nugget.​

Simcoe: (from fresh hops)
Alpha Acid: 12-15%

Provides a nice, smooth bitterness and hints of citrus. This variety has quickly become a favorite among professionals and amateurs alike, and we're happy to be able to offer it in whole leaf form. Great for bittering and flavor additions.

Typical Brewing Style: American Ales, IPAs, Double IPAs

Hallertauer Mittelfruh:
Alpha Acid: 4.0%

Aroma hop with mild and pleasant herbal, floral, grassy, hoppy notes.

Typical Brewing Style: Lager, Bock, Pilsner, Kosch, and Munich Ale.
Possible Substitution: German Hallertauer​

I'm thinking I might sub one or 2 from my current list for a noble hop or two.

Anyone have any thoughts on the grain bill? Trying to keep it super simple.

You originally mentioned doing this as a SMaSH in which case maybe Marris Otter. If it was me I'd do this with 10lb pale 2-row and 1lb C80

Yeah, I've been debating on switching to Marris Otter for simplicity sake. I didnt think the 2-row would hold up too well on its own.

I have a feeling I'm going to be running this experiment at least another time with different hops.

BTW - if this thread should be in another forum, moderators, feel free to move it.

Have to put this on the back burner for a few weeks. I forgot about a state board exam that I have coming up. 'DOH!

See you guys on the flip side

Back