7 Days in Primary and still no fermentation!! HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Der Meister

Reaction score
As mentioned in my previous thread see here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11887

I used the wyeast 3068. I smacked the pack about 3 hours prior to pitching. Now it's been a full week and nothing. Not a single bubble. So what should I do? I have a pack of Nottingham dry yeast I can pitch in and see what it does. Or I could get another 3068 and pitch that? Or should I do nothing and wait a few more days?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks Guys

DM

It could have happened very quickly, but if you can't see a dried krausen (foamy stuff on top) on the beer then it indeed did not happen. 3068 is a Heffeweizen yeast so if you want a HW pitch 3068 or 3058 again. If you cannot get a smack pack of either then use the dry yeast. The beer will be beer, just not what you were looking for.

That assumes no wild yeast or bacteria have taken over after a week... If it smells like rotten meat then there is really no salvaging it. I hope for your's and the beer's sake this is not the case!

Waiting for the pack to swell ensures the yeast is viable. Make sure to wait for the inflation next time. Brew and learn. :)

What they said! If it's been a week and, assuming the environment you're fermenting in isn't cold, then you need to repitch.

Not to be a smart*ss, but this points out the benefit of making a starter! I feel your pain!:( Good luck!

I found making a starter just builds my excitement level for brewing the beer. I also try to get everything out I will need for brew day and hand wash then sanitize it all at that point.

For some reason starters seem intimidating. I've only done my first batch so far, but starters seem like an advanced technique or something.

I know I'll be doing my reading before the next batch and hope to get things rolling with a starter this time around ;-) I'd like to avoid problems like this before they happen!

NoBull6 said:
For some reason starters seem intimidating. I've only done my first batch so far, but starters seem like an advanced technique or something...

They really aren't, especially after you've done your first couple starters. Think of it as doing a mini-brew, because that's all you're really doing! You'll find it's actually kinda fun! At least I do!

Read the link above and you'll be fine. And you'll never brew without first doing one again, either!;)

NoBull6 said:
For some reason starters seem intimidating. I've only done my first batch so far, but starters seem like an advanced technique or something.!
I'm calling BS. My tech for a starter is this 1/4cup DME 2 Cups boiled H2O mix together. chill H2O DME mix to 70F pitch yeast cover w/ foil 2 days before brew hide in dark closet you'll have a starter.
:rockin: :mug:

I realize your smack-pack never swelled. If your kitchen was 80+ it really should have. Having that in mind, do you have your carboy on the basement floor?

Good luck on getting a recovery on this brew.

If you don't have a hydrometer, taste the wort. If it's sweet, pitch the Nottingham asap.

The Plot thickens...

Note: I haven't touched it yet.

This morning I saw some action, about one bubble every 5 seconds. I guess the yeast was just a late bloomer. So now what do I do? Throw in the Nottingham yeast or just let her go?

I think what you had was very quick fermation as David suggested taste it and see you wont hurt any thing just make sure any thing the comes in contact with the wort\beer is sanitized.:mug:

Back