7/8 in chiller from LHBS but only 13ft???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The outside diameter of the tube is 7/8" and the inside is 5/8" so you have a wall thickness of 1/8" which is a little hefty as you want the heat to be carried away by the water gong thru it and not be held in the wall of the tube causing a slower chill rate. I have 50' of the 3/8" and it works fine. I have always wondered how much faster it would be if I had used the 1/2" although there seems to be a debate on which size is more effective.

I use the 1/2" x 50 chiller from NY Brew Supply. Works great, no complaints. I like the garden hose fittings, less leaks than my old clamp hose setup.

Demon said:
I use the 1/2" x 50 chiller from NY Brew Supply. Works great, no complaints. I like the garden hose fittings, less leaks than my old clamp hose setup.

Just ordered the same one today. What sizebatches do you do? I do ten but hoping that chiller will be good for 15. Hoping it gets to me by saturday

7/8 is the hose OD. 5/8 is the copper tube OD. i have the same one from GF. it works pretty well overall but eventually ill move to a plate chiller.

Back