6gallon kit into a 5 gallon carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenchu_11

Reaction score
First time brewer here. :mug: I purchased some honey and mead yeast and started it brewing a 5 gallon batch of mead. After 3 days I still have no air lock activity :( so I decided to be patient and leave it alone. Not being able to sitt on my hands and wait I moved onto my first batch of beer ever! :rockin: I was excited and happy until i realize the kit made 23 liters (6 gallons) and my car boy is only 5 gallons so it will be a gallon short. The kit is a Brew Craft Dutch Lager, I considered my options and thought a lager would be a good starting beer. So I decided to add the whole can of malt extract even though Its going to be a gallon short of water (I though more flavor). I did back off on the dextrose it asked for a 1 Kilo (2.1 LB) and I added around 1 3/4 lb. Its my first brew ever and I realized that once I diluted the malt extract with 5 gallons of water it was still on the brown side for a lager. Keep in mind it is my first batch ever so i'm not sure if it will change colors or if sediment will settle clearing my beer. Has anyone else used a 6 gallon kit in a 5 gallon carboy? Anything I should expect or be worried about? Thank you!

With 5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy you will not have enough head space to account for krausen as fermentation kicks off...be sure to use a blowoff tube instead of an airlock.

May want to consider use of a product called fermcap, a foam control agent, which can be used in the boil to prevent boil overs or in the fermenter to control krausen when a less than ideal sized fermenter is used. Other than this, Dedhed's suggestion of a blowoff tube vs. airlock is right, unless you want a big mess on your hands.

Generally a 6.5 gal food grade bucket or glass carboy is ideal for a 5 gal batch, so pick one up if you can. Sometimes with a vigorous ferment, even a 6.5 gallon vessel cannot contain the krausen and a blowoff tube is necessary. Fermcap would work in this case too.

Good luck,

Seems like a ambitious endeavor for your first brew. What temp are you fermenting (or not fermenting) at? Lager requires colder fermentation temperatures than ales. If you are above 60F that may be why you are not seeing any activity..

My lager is seeing activity my Mead (honey wine) isn't. But for my lager dedhedjed is correct I checked my brew this morning and a head of foam shot up knocking the lid and inside piece of my 3 piece air lock off. i santized it and put it back on and it started bubbling away. i will remember to use a blow off tube next time. My lager is fermenting at around 70-75F.

Back