60qt cooler for mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlatLander

Reaction score
I have an old 60qt cooler that has broken hinges and was thinking about making a mash tun out of it. I'm concerned that it will be too big for my typical 5 gallon batches though. What are your thoughts on using this 15.5 gal cooler to mash a 5 gallon batch?

I have an old 60qt cooler that has broken hinges and was thinking about making a mash tun out of it. I'm concerned that it will be too big for my typical 5 gallon batches though. What are your thoughts on using this 15.5 gal cooler to mash a 5 gallon batch?

My only concern would be head space and losing some heat during the mash...other than that I'd say go for it!

It would be great for a high gravity brew! However, for most moderate gravity brews my concern would be with mash depth and not temp loss. You can deal with temp loss by simply covering the MLT with a blanket.

Assuming you are batch sparging, the grain depth isn't as important but if its too shallow you could have trouble getting clear wort during vorlauf. But still I think I'd try it anyway. :)

I use a very similar size and it's great. I can do no sparge 5 gallon and also 10g if you batch sparge.

It's a Coleman extreme and temperature lose is no issue. Wrap the part of the lid that seals with saran wrap and cover in a blanket. Overnight mash (around 12hrs) and only lost 4-5 degrees

Back