6 taps of German bier for 40th

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
Hey all, I have my 40th coming up in 6 months time and I'm planning an Oktoberfest theme party since I make mean beer and pretzels.
I'm thinking 6 taps/kegs, and whatever is leftover just gets bottled, no big deal.

What sort of styles would you go for? Gonna be lots of craft nerds there but also lots of BMC drinkers and people who don't usually drink beer.

This is what I'm thinking...

Vienna lager (6 months)
Schwarzbier (5 months)
Helles (4 months)
Koelsch (3 months)
Pilsner (2 months)
Hefeweizen (1 month)

The times listed is how far out the beer gets brewed, to allow a decent lagering period and so I can keep a reasonable brewing schedule.

I also have a bottle conditioned doppelbock which will be 12 months old and can do a few mini batches of whatever else is needed and bottle them.

Anything missing here? If you rocked up to a party with giant pretzels, handmade bratwurst and those beers on tap would that be cool or a bit meh?

Sounds awesome frankly. Hefe one month out is clever. You could likely interchange the blond lagers in the middle.

I just went to Milwaukee's awesome German Fest last night for German-style beer, sausages and pretzels. Your lineup looks great!

Ever have potato pancakes and applesauce? It's one of my favorites at German Fest and Oktoberfest but I get that it might sound weird.

Ever have potato pancakes and applesauce? It's one of my favorites at German Fest and Oktoberfest but I get that it might sound weird.

Sounds interesting, and no haven't tried these.
I was thinking of keeping the food somewhat simple. Bratwurst, currywurst, kartoeffelsalat, pretzels. But defo open to food suggestions as well and sounding weird isn't a problem.

Sounds interesting, and no haven't tried these.
I was thinking of keeping the food somewhat simple. Bratwurst, currywurst, kartoeffelsalat, pretzels. But defo open to food suggestions as well and sounding weird isn't a problem.

Sounds good, just incredibly important to have cold sauerkraut and horseradish. Maybe some black forest chocolate cake or berliners with chocolate and raspberry centers.

Id substitute the vienna for marzen. Personal pref.

Recipes for potato pancakes sometimes do/sometimes don't include sour cream. They're definitely better WITH the sour cream. Give 'em a try next time you have leftover potatoes.

If you have a smoker or access to a smoker, a pork butt cooked to 180-190 (not quite to fall-apart pulling temp) makes an awesome substitute for spanferkel.

I just went to Milwaukee's awesome German Fest last night for German-style beer, sausages and pretzels.

Went to Milwaukee's German fest a bunch of times in the 80's but sadly they never had any actual German beer. Has that changed?

No Oktoberfest?

Was wondering when someone would pick up on the Oktoberfest without Oktoberfest thing :)

But the reality is that my Vienna is one of my favourite brews and my Oktoberfest is just a bit meh. I don't know why. I have brewed it twice now and I had to struggle a bit through the last 5 gallons, it's just not as good as the Vienna.

Might just be a personal preference thing.

Hey all, I have my 40th coming up in 6 months time and I'm planning an Oktoberfest theme party since I make mean beer and pretzels.
I'm thinking 6 taps/kegs, and whatever is leftover just gets bottled, no big deal.

What sort of styles would you go for? Gonna be lots of craft nerds there but also lots of BMC drinkers and people who don't usually drink beer.

This is what I'm thinking...

Vienna lager (6 months)
Schwarzbier (5 months)
Helles (4 months)
Koelsch (3 months)
Pilsner (2 months)
Hefeweizen (1 month)

The times listed is how far out the beer gets brewed, to allow a decent lagering period and so I can keep a reasonable brewing schedule.

I also have a bottle conditioned doppelbock which will be 12 months old and can do a few mini batches of whatever else is needed and bottle them.

Anything missing here? If you rocked up to a party with giant pretzels, handmade bratwurst and those beers on tap would that be cool or a bit meh?

what about roggenbier,i know its not really lager,but i see you already have hefeveizen

Recipes for potato pancakes sometimes do/sometimes don't include sour cream. They're definitely better WITH the sour cream. Give 'em a try next time you have leftover potatoes.

If you have a smoker or access to a smoker, a pork butt cooked to 180-190 (not quite to fall-apart pulling temp) makes an awesome substitute for spanferkel.

yup,as a proffesional Polish man,i can wouch for the true of it,sour cream all the way

Went to Milwaukee's German fest a bunch of times in the 80's but sadly they never had any actual German beer. Has that changed?

They had Pilsner Urquell and I think Hoffbrau, and lots of German wine and schnapps, but most beer was Sprecher's quite well done beers and it's apparently Leienkugel's 150th anniversary so they did something for the occasion.

what about roggenbier,i know its not really lager,but i see you already have hefeveizen

I don't think there's any rule that says they have to be lagers (maybe in the Munich Oktoberfest but not here anyway). Haven't tried brewing a roggenbier but that could be a good idea.

Could definitely be worth a gallon batch of roggenbier for something interesting. Cheers.

My second annual Oktoberfest party is in September. Your beer and food selection looks great.

This year I'm doing

Marzen
Festbier
Schwarzbier
Dunkel
Kolsch
Strawberry Blonde (for the ladies)
Pumpkin ale

And smoked pork shoulder, bratwurst and side dishes. So good luck! It takes quite a bit of planning but it's worth it!

Latest posts

Back