6 gallon vs. 6.5 gallon carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzycist

Reaction score
Gearing up for my first brew I found a great deal on a 6 gallon glass carboy. I'd like to buy it and use it, but will I have krausen problems if it's 6 instead of 6.5 gallons? I don't really want to rig a blow off tube; I'd rather just use an airlock.

thats impossible to answer. we can not see the future. the 6.5 will be less likely to have a blow off but you can still have a blow off with a 6.5.

There probably isn't going to be a huge difference between them, but a 6.5 will give a little bit more room, esp. if you're are putting more than 5 gallons in.

That said, you can have blowoffs with either, and there are probably only a few cases where the 6 gallon will have blowoff issues that would be fine in the 6.5

I have had blow ups with my 6 gallons 6.5 is ideal but I just use a big blow off tube. I'm partial to 6 because I got them for 30 bucks

I put 5.5 gallons into 6 gallon better bottles and usually don't have blow-offs as I tend to ferment at the low end of the yeast's temperature range. That being said, I just did Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale with safale-05 and it overflowed while fermenting at 61F. A few drops of Fermcap got it under control.

Latest posts

Back