6 gallon Italian glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shipping to MD: FedEx Ground $12.10

So for under $30, that's a great deal on an Italian made carboy.

I put 2 in the basket, and total shipping is $17.76. That makes it even sweeter.

I’m with you, but I want to try my hand at a wine kit.
The wine community says carboys are a must for bulk aging.

Makes me wonder if you could use kegs, but without pressure of course.

Carboys are only used here anymore for bulk aging sours, so they don't need to get handled very often, and when handling just be very careful. They're all from Mexican or Italian origin.

I have used kegs for aging sours as well as regular beers, which has many advantages over carboys.

I was thinking about using a keg for the last rack. Would probably make bottling easier too.

But all the kits call for 6 gallons.
I didn’t want to waste 1 gallon of wine or split it into two kegs because of the headspace.

I feel like my wine making will be fairly infrequent as well.
It takes us a while to get through 30 bottles.

I have been using PET Better Bottles for about 7 years. Some have stayed in them for 4-6 months without issue. At least to my taste. I usually ferment 2 weeks or so in a bucket. Rack, fine and degass in the Better Bottle. It stays there for another month or so then I bottle it. Any aging is then done in the bottles.

Personally I wouldn't use a glass carboy for anything. My largest glass vessel is one gallon.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/broken-glass-carboy-horror-stories-compendium.376523/

If I did it would be in a milk crate and never moved at all, even for cleaning.

Back