6 gallon glass carboy dimensions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvaladez34

Reaction score
Anybody know the likely inside diameter of the 6 gallon glass carboy in the gold complete beer equipment kit? I'm trying to calculate how much beer minus the trub my first batch has yielded. anybody know how thick the glass is throughout the body?

Not sure about the measurements and I hope that someone can help you with that.

Save yourself the agony and complex measurements next time and mark the outside of the carboy with gallon (or half gallon increments) marks so that you can figure it out easier next time.

Thanks for the response. I has planned on doing that but it slipped my mind while i was planning my first recipe. However Once I know the inside diameter it's very easy to figure out how many inches of beer make up a gallon. That's a number I probably won't forget. Filling the carboy at even half gallon intervals and marking with a Sharpie or tape and having to do that again every time the tape comes off or ink rubs off doesn't seem like that much less effort. I just need to find someone who broke their carboy or knows how thick it is through the body

Actually, I would appreciate it if some if you fine gentlemen could measure how far apart your gallon graduations are on your carboys and post them so I could benefit from your hard work ;-)

if u start with a clean carboy and mark the graduations with small pieces of electrical tape, you will find it very difficult to get them to come off. I also used blue painters tape and that was even better. It actually took me some work to get it come off.

I might try some nail polish. In the mean time I have a carboy full of beer with a lot of trub and I dint know exactly how much beer is in there. I want a good estimate so I know how much priming sugar I need. How far apart are the gallon markers on your carboys?

Back