6 gal Better Bottle as Primary for AHS Anniversary kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherr

Reaction score
Hi there!

So, I was planning on brewing up the American Pale Ale from ASH's anniversary sale today. I have my white labs california ale yeast coming to room temp, and I have a stopper and 3 piece airlock.

Then, I realized I wasn't sure how to transfer the wort from the pot *into* the better bottle, since the opening is so small. Do I siphon? And if so, I thought pouring/aerating was good, and it seems like siphoning minimizes that.

I have a small funnel, but scooping out wort and pouring it into the funnel seems silly and tedious.

I have also read that I might need a blow off tube? My buckets are 6.5 gallons, and I haven't had any issue with the 3 piece air locks with those, so I'm not entirely sure how to construct a blow off tube or not.

Worse comes to worse, I can put my yeast back in the fridge, and use the better bottle as a secondary and brew this one up next week after I move the Blonde Ale that is in my primary as of last night to the better bottle.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

I put the kettle on a table, and I siphon out of the kettle. I put a funnel with a wire mesh strainer in it in the better bottle and I wave the tube back and forth over the strainer to help aeration...

you can either buy a bigger funnel or siphon. between siphoning and swishing the bottle back and forth a few times, that is plenty enough to aerate. As far as a blow off tube... if you have enough headspace in the bottle then won't have to worry about that. If you put more than 6 gallons in the 6.5g bottle then you may need to start thinking about that. Really depends on how big your batch is.

Five gallons in a 6.5 gallon primary should be fine, there are rare cases of blow offs which is usually due to a very active yeast. I brewed up the AHS anniversary pale ale this week, been in primary for about 5 days. Did you do extract, mini-mash, or all grain?

Extract, I have the water heating up to steep the grains as we speak, and I did the extract blonde ale last night and it is bubbling nicely.

This afternoon I made cookies with that left over grain with some flour and peanut butter for my dog, but I think I like them better than he does!

So I might use this grain to make granola or breakfast bars for me!

You could always pour it into a bottling bucket, then just put the better bottle under the spigot. That would be the free solution, or just buy a big funnel

Back