6 Foot Ceiling too Low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay-Brew

Reaction score
Sorry if I have missed this somewhere.... Thinking about going electric, but before I put too much thought into it I need to get a sense of whether my basement ceiling height is doable.

It's an old house with an unfinished basement. Ceilings are just over 6 feet at the highest point. Is this just too low? Will be able to vent through a basement window.

It would be for me. At 5 foot 18 inches, I'd have to dig the floor out some.

It would be for me. At 5 foot 18 inches, I'd have to dig the floor out some.

It wouldn't be the most comfortable place to brew (I'm 6 feet), but I could deal with that. I can stand up at the highest point. It's a cement floor so going down isn't a good option. I do have a old garage, which is basically a glorified shed and has the size and height, but it doesn't have water. I am getting tired of running all over the place when brewing outside and potentially dealing with weather (i.e., winter) and would love an indoor space to brew.

Sure. Just make your stand not too high and use a hood to vent to that window. I always plan my stands so the pots are chest-high or so - that way I can see in and stir easily, but also don't have to bend over to **** with the valves.

6' is plenty of room apart from the head bumpage.

Sure. Just make your stand not too high and use a hood to vent to that window. I always plan my stands so the pots are chest-high or so - that way I can see in and stir easily, but also don't have to bend over to **** with the valves.

6' is plenty of room apart from the head bumpage.

Thanks! Happy to hear it's not a crazy idea. Definitely not ideal, but if it's doable that makes me happy! I hit my head every other time I'm down there as it is, so head bumpage isn't anything I'm not used to.:)

If it is high enough for you, it's high enough to brew. I basement brew and don't even find a need for an exhaust hood. I put a fan in an open window behind the kettle, and also have a tabletop fan to mix the room air to prevent a cloud of steam in the room. It is very effective! The window fan exhausts more than enough air, and the smaller fan mixes the steam with the room air to keep the humidity temporarily dispersed. With enough exhaust, and the room air even slightly moving, I find no need for a hood. I owned both these fans, so the brewery ventilation was about as simple as plugging them in. Additionally, the window fan exhaust prevents the smell from migrating throughout the house, only the basement brewery has a slight sweet odor during the boil. I do run the fans for 20-30 minutes post flame out to clear the room fully. Don't think you need a complicated spendy exhaust system, IME you don't!

My basement is about the same, but I'm only 5'5", so no issues there. I bought a stainless table and did end up having to cut down the legs so the kettles fit under the hood.

If it is high enough for you, it's high enough to brew. I basement brew and don't even find a need for an exhaust hood. I put a fan in an open window behind the kettle, and also have a tabletop fan to mix the room air to prevent a cloud of steam in the room. It is very effective! The window fan exhausts more than enough air, and the smaller fan mixes the steam with the room air to keep the humidity temporarily dispersed. With enough exhaust, and the room air even slightly moving, I find no need for a hood. I owned both these fans, so the brewery ventilation was about as simple as plugging them in. Additionally, the window fan exhaust prevents the smell from migrating throughout the house, only the basement brewery has a slight sweet odor during the boil. I do run the fans for 20-30 minutes post flame out to clear the room fully. Don't think you need a complicated spendy exhaust system, IME you don't!

Thanks! Appreciate the input. Standing up isn't too bad and I have a window right in the space I am thinking of using. Unfortunately there is a lot of plumbing running on the ceiling there, which takes away some of the room. It is doable but far from ideal. The idea of having everything in one spot and the weather never being a factor is very appealing though.

My basement is about the same, but I'm only 5'5", so no issues there. I bought a stainless table and did end up having to cut down the legs so the kettles fit under the hood.

Thanks! Glad to hear it's possible.

I also have a basement brewery, now electric. The underside of the beams vary from 5' 6" to 5' 10" since the owner/builder (1920's) decided notches at the ends were better than trimming them all to the same height. I'm 5'8", and after 25 years I subconsciously duck as needed (but not always...seeing stars still!)

In critical areas I've trimmed them flush with the sill, but it's too many to do them all, plus wiring is in the way, and some beams are 4" thick. I did the whole area above my sink/counter so I could put white masonite sheets up to give it a more finished look, and stop dust from falling. I was not able to continue past to brewing area though, as they are the 4" ones, and can't get the saw up on both sides to get through them, not to mention the last foot or so at each end the saw can't get to. That takes a saw-zall and a really long blade since it won't fit straight between the beams either.

I have a 3 tier pump setup, but the HLT is still too low as there are water pipes 18" out from the wall and 4" below the beams. Can't blame the builder for that, as I put them there to get them out of the middle of the basement. In hindsight I should have done it a little better, but who knew I would build a brewery there 20+ years later. I've been pondering a total re-plumb as there are also 2 poorly located drains along there too. All could fit in a 6" space along the wall. The 1 drain even interferes with the window next to the brew area. That pluming cost would buy a lot of grain.....

All in all it is working pretty well for me. And, beats extract on the stove!

I have a 3 tier pump setup, but the HLT is still too low as there are water pipes 18" out from the wall and 4" below the beams. Can't blame the builder for that, as I put them there to get them out of the middle of the basement. In hindsight I should have done it a little better, but who knew I would build a brewery there 20+ years later. I've been pondering a total re-plumb as there are also 2 poorly located drains along there too. All could fit in a 6" space along the wall. The 1 drain even interferes with the window next to the brew area. That pluming cost would buy a lot of grain.....

The solution is so elegantly simple I cannot believe you have not thought of it. All you have to do is dig! You should create the first brewing PIT in you basement. Dig down 14", add 2" of crushed stone, 3" slab then 6" block around the edges and you can still overlap the block with a 3" slab at the top. How hard can it be?

The solution is so elegantly simple I cannot believe you have not thought of it. All you have to do is dig! You should create the first brewing PIT in you basement. Dig down 14", add 2" of crushed stone, 3" slab then 6" block around the edges and you can still overlap the block with a 3" slab at the top. How hard can it be?

Wishful thinking. My sump pump runs a couple days a year currently. If I dig down 14" I'll hit the ground water.

Wishful thinking. My sump pump runs a couple days a year currently. If I dig down 14" I'll hit the ground water.

No sump pump and same here. About once per year I get to push water to my floor drain...because house on beach sand...7 miles inland.

Just wear a helmet the whole time, problem solved.

beer-hat-beer-helmet-pic-8.jpg

problem solved.

Thanks but not something I want to touch for multiple reasons.... I'll just tough it out with the height I have if I go this route.

Back