$6.44 Fermentation Bucket (2 - 4 gallon batches)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
I'll preface all of this with the following:

1. Cost of an airlock is not included. However, if you have some 1/2" OD vinyl tubing lying around, you can just shove that into the grommet and use it as a blow off tube.

2. You can do all of this for $.50 total cost if you don't mind tapping into your local bakeries (Walmart, supermartkets, etc) and ask them from 5 gallon buckets and lids. I'm socially awkward so I won't do it. :D

3. There are probably cheaper buckets that others will recommend (Homer buckets, etc.). However, I wanted to be absolutely certain that they were HDPE #1 or #2 AND food grade...no questions asked. These fill the requirements perfectly.

4. If you decide to try and jam a 5 gallon batch in these, I will not be responsible for what your wife does to you while you are sleeping! :eek:

Now, on to the feature presentation...

Since returning to brewing I have quickly realized one thing...bottling sucks! It especially sucks when you do 5.5 gallon or larger batches.

My solution to this dilemma: I have committed myself to doing only 3 gallon batches (BIAB). This way I am bottling just a little over half of what I would have had to before, and, it affords me the opportunity to brew more variety since I won't be tying up a lot of my bottles on a single batch.

Now that I don't need to rely on 6.5+ gallon buckets as fermenters I started to look for smaller alternatives. I sure as hell don't want to pay $12 - $15 for something I don't need and 5 gallon buckets are easy to find at the big box stores so that is where I started my search. It didn't take long to find what I was looking for. The buckets listed below have been mentioned in numerous threads but I figured I would put everything that is needed in a single location to help others locate it when needed. They are food grade and #2 HDPE.

I believe all parts can be sourced from Lowes but I got my grommets from Ace Hardware.

Bucket - $3.97
Encore Plastics 5-Gallon Food Grade Plastic Bucket
Item #: 356492 | Model #: 50640

http://www.lowes.com/pd_356492-1152...de&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=food+grade&facetInfo=

XBA7upw.png

Lid - $1.97
Encore Plastics 5-Gallon Polyethylene Bucket Lid
Item #: 356493 | Model #: 50000

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

RDQthhp.png

Grommet - $.50
The Hillman Group 15-Pack 7/16-in Inside Diameter Rubber Grommets
Item #: 423728 | Model #: 55058

http://www.lowes.com/pd_423728-37672-55058_0__?Ntt=55058&UserSearch=55058&productId=4437283&rpp=32
I got mine from Ace Hardware (pic below). When I check Lowes online I see only a 15 pack but chances are that they also have a 2 pack or loose ones in store.

tJAO5JU.png

GBtxFcL.png

h1ip2d4.jpg

I drilled a 5/8" hole using a step bit since it makes a cleaner cut. 9/16" would be optimal due to the groove size of the grommet but 5/8" seems to work good enough.

QDIV0nU.jpg

PfhmvNq.jpg

Finished product. The buckets are more translucent than I expected so adding the graduation marks was simple.

KRDcGjN.jpg

x4JacoM.jpg

That's it. As you can see it doesn't take any time at all and the price is right. The longest part of the process is adding the graduation marks.

John

Fermcap S and 5 gallons should work just fine FYI
one last thing you may want to keep an eye on is the lid, the fermentation buckets have a seal around them. it's completely fine of course if it doesn't have it, just when it's done fermenting, bottle quick or put into a secondary or something because air will seep back in.

Looks good though! i've used them for years for bottling buckets :mug:

Fermcap S and 5 gallons should work just fine FYI
one last thing you may want to keep an eye on is the lid, the fermentation buckets have a seal around them. it's completely fine of course if it doesn't have it, just when it's done fermenting, bottle quick or put into a secondary or something because air will seep back in.

Looks good though! i've used them for years for bottling buckets :mug:

The lids that I listed above also have a gasket and are a MAJOR PITA to get off. If anyone has weak fingers I suggest you get a lid remover. :)

bucket-lid-remover.jpg

John

The lids that I listed above also have a gasket and are a MAJOR PITA to get off. If anyone has weak fingers I suggest you get a lid remover. :)

I have strong fingers, but I still use a lid removal tool. IMO, that's a must-have bit of gear if you ferment in buckets.

I like the buckets they have at Lowes that are a little translucent, they are also premarked. The biggest problem for me with the opaque buckets is that it's hard to tell if there is krausen or if it has fallen. The translucent buckets are just clear enough to be able to see where the beer is at without having to crack the lid so often.

you could drill a bigger hole and use a larger stopper so you can just take the stopper out and look in really quick

I've got 2 of the Lowes buckets and lids. For the money, they are great. I put about 4.5 gallons of sub-1.050 wort into them usually, use a blow-off tube for the first couple days just in case, but I haven't had any major blow-offs in one yet with temp-controlled low gravity fermentations.

my friend wanted to cook up a larger batch than my usual 1 gallons, so off we went to the hardware store.

I already had the step bit, so, it was just a question of getting the rest. Long story short, new 19 litre fermenter, and a good seal on it from the gasketed lid. Fermentation ongoing and very happy.

Latest posts

Back