5lb CO2 tank - how long does it last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globell

Reaction score
Will be buying a tank soon.
How often do you need to fill a 5 or 10 or 20lb tank?
Will be using a 5G keg.
Thanks!

Depends on how you use the CO2 with your one keg.
If you only dispense with it, you'll have a year's worth of CO2 in a 5# bottle, call it 20 batches worth.
If you carbonate and dispense, it won't last as long, say 15 batches.
If you do CO2-forced transfers, carbonate and dispense, it'll will last even shorter, say 10 batches.

'Course, if you have a leak, all bets are off wrt longevity.
Test everything, ideally by submerging what you can and use leak detector for what you can't...

Cheers!

Get a 10# if you can. The difference between 5# and 10# fillup is like $5.Plus they never run out. I run a two tap system and fill my tank 2 times a year. Three at the most. It cost me $25 twice a year...Its a non issue money and fill wise

I don't get anywhere near what day trippr seems to get. I get 5-8 kegs from a fill up on my 5# tank.

You might have a leak somewhere, or use it too much? I have a 5# in my keezer, and I force carb with mine, and keep 3 kegs on about 10psi, and I have kicked 12 kegs now, all with the same bottle still...

IDK. Maybe I am getting more.. But it does not seem like 15 kegs per 5# bottle. I sometimes force carb. Often just serving pressure at about 10-12 psi. I did leak one tank out.

When I started looking it seemed the rule of thumb is to assume a usage of 1lb co2 per batch when force carbing and serving.

I just started kegging (still emptying my first keg), I got a 5lb tank with a used dorm-sized kegerator. The 5lb tank still had some gas in it but not enough for my first batch (it did a force transfer and carbed before it ran out). All from Craigslist for $85 (included a 5 gal keg). So watch craigslist for deals.

When I went to fill/exchange the 5# tank, Air-gas told me it would be around $20 to exchange for a full 5# tank. It was just over $60 to exchange the empty 5# for a full 20#. They also told me that it was only around $20 to exchange the 20# for another 20#. After only 3x 5# exchanges it would have cost as much as the upgrade to the 20#. My local air-gas did not have any 10lb cylinders.

I would say do not buy a new co2 tank online, a lot of places only do exchanges so you will lose your new tank. Also a new 20lb tank is like $150 shipped empty. You could get a full one from air-gas for less (because you don't have to pay for shipping and you can't ship them full, and you have to make the trip to fill or exchange it anyway).

I also like the size of the 20lb tank, it is about the same size as a 5gal keg so it is still fairly easy to transport.

I can get about 6-7 kegs per 5 gal co2 tank with force carb'ing 4 of those.

I found a used 20# tank full for 80. Good deal?

I bought a full used #20 tank for $60 which was within the certification period and I thought it was a pretty good deal based on the others I had seen for sale on CL. It only costs $18 to fill it as opposed to $12 to fill my 5# tank.

I force carbonate everything and I last filled my 20# tank 20 batches ago. It is hard to tell how much gas remains using the regulator but I think I've still got quite a bit left. All bets are off if you have a bad gas connection to a corny as you can lose an entire tank in no time.

I bought a full used #20 tank for $60 which was within the certification period and I thought it was a pretty good deal based on the others I had seen for sale on CL. It only costs $18 to fill it as opposed to $12 to fill my 5# tank.

I force carbonate everything and I last filled my 20# tank 20 batches ago. It is hard to tell how much gas remains using the regulator but I think I've still got quite a bit left. All bets are off if you have a bad gas connection to a corny as you can lose an entire tank in no time.

I talked the seller down to 65 and it's full! 😀

I talked the seller down to 65 and it's full!

Get a 10# if you can. The difference between 5# and 10# fillup is like $5.Plus they never run out. I run a two tap system and fill my tank 2 times a year. Three at the most. It cost me $25 twice a year...Its a non issue money and fill wise

I also have a 10#, 2 tap system. (2 serving, 3 on gas) I use the co2 to carb and dispense at the same pressure. I have rotated through my 7 kegs twice in the last 2 years. I don't know how long the co2bottle will last because I only filled it once :)

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but were do you get a tank filled for $25? Closes place that I know on is about $100 for 10 LB tank

I got 1 keg off my 5#, turns out I had a leak and never realized it.. Lesson to pass on.. ALWAYS double check all connections :mug:

My LHBS has a 100 pound tank to do fills. Its $20 for a 5# and $25 for a 10#.
I use CO2 to push cleaner/star san in addition to carbing and serving and get 8-10 kegs per 10# bottle.

I filled a 5# tank in July and used it to force carbonate and serve 8 five gallon corny kegs so far but its ready to give out anytime now. I keep another full 5# tank on hand so that I never get run out of Co2 when I need it.

Most places swap out the tank when you fill it so always get the cheapest ugliest tank because after the first fill youll have a different one. Make sure its not out of date

It's not pretty and the 20# tank expires in 2018.

Rather than starting a new thread, I'll just veer this one wildly off-topic. Ain't I a great guy? ;)

QUESTION: for those already in the thread, what do you consider to be an "adequate" fill of CO2 in, say, a 5# tank?

Why I ask: the nearest place to get a fill charges $25 for a 5# tank, ugh. The place about 10 minutes further down the road charges only $14. I went there and walked out with two tanks. When I got home, I weighed each one and compared against the tare weight stamped on the cylinder. I got 4.5# for one tank and 4.75# in the other.

So, on one hand, they're both definitely less than 5 pounds. OTOH, even the worst of the two is only 10% short. Even if they short me that much every time, I'm still WAY ahead vs. going to the other place, considering $/lb. How much of a shortage would compel you to complain?

Rather than starting a new thread, I'll just veer this one wildly off-topic. Ain't I a great guy? ;)

QUESTION: for those already in the thread, what do you consider to be an "adequate" fill of CO2 in, say, a 5# tank?

Why I ask: the nearest place to get a fill charges $25 for a 5# tank, ugh. The place about 10 minutes further down the road charges only $14. I went there and walked out with two tanks. When I got home, I weighed each one and compared against the tare weight stamped on the cylinder. I got 4.5# for one tank and 4.75# in the other.

So, on one hand, they're both definitely less than 5 pounds. OTOH, even the worst of the two is only 10% short. Even if they short me that much every time, I'm still WAY ahead vs. going to the other place, considering $/lb. How much of a shortage would compel you to complain?
Any reputable gas place should be dead on. Mine are always within 1/10 of a pound of the rating on the tank. ( I weigh them when I get home)

Places that sell fire extinguishers and fire safety equipment will generally fill co2 tanks. The last time I got my 10lb tank filled it was like 16 bucks.

Isn't there a difference between food grade CO2 and regular CO2?

I get about 23 5gal kegs carbed and served from a 10# tank at 12psi. I dont purge full kegs or do full keg to keg transfers.

edit: changed from 25 to 23 after double checking my math. I get my tank refilled not exchanged and refill when almost empty. I weigh my tank before and after filling and normal use about 9# for 21 kegs served and primed. If I ran it empty I estimate 2 more kegs on the last 1# of CO2. Did not count kegs I used gallons brewed per year x months used/12.

Last edited:
Any reputable gas place should be dead on. Mine are always within 1/10 of a pound of the rating on the tank. ( I weigh them when I get home)

Same here, I get 1 to 2/10 of the full 5lbs. With a 7.8lb Tare, 5lbs of gas.. came in at 12.6lbs, just 2/10's shy of the 12.8 full weight.. I am ok with that :mug:

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but were do you get a tank filled for $25? Closes place that I know on is about $100 for 10 LB tank

You surely are shopping at the wrong place... :drunk:

CO2 seems to have a "street price" of around $1 a pound. The distributor pays much less of course.

When I called around to get my 2 tanks filled/exchanged some prices were astronomical. 2 outfits claimed I needed "medical grade" CO2, and the price was commensurate. My LHBS charges $3.40 a pound, regardless of fill volume. It's actually quite OK for a 2.5# bottle ($9.50), not so for a 20# tank ($68 !).

At the best places in my area a 20# refill or exchange runs $24-28.

The chemistry of CO2 works out so that a 5 lb tank turned into gas at 1 atmosphere at 0 degrees C will yield 1150 liters, more of less of CO2. A 5 gallon Corny will take about 20 liters or so to fill, so if you are carbonating to 2.5 Volumes, you will use about 70 liters per keg, if you count dispensing volume. it would be enough gas to dispense 15 kegs or so, if you account for purging the headspace initially. If you use it like me, and pressurize it to a few PSI to run about a quart of Star San as a final rinse through your kegs and lines, that will change the numbers accordingly.

I pay roughly $25 for a 10lb tank.

I get about 16 kegs on a 10lb which lasts 6 months or so. I force carb them all. I do use some co2 to purge after it's filled and I put some in a tank with the oxiclean soak and fill the beer lines. That's how I clean my beer lines.

Then I fill enough in the keg to rinse the beer lines with hot water.

I can't imagine that I would get another 10 kegs if I didn't rinse beer lines though.

I was taught gas laws in high school Chemistry, and after all Chemistry is applied Physics:)

In certain environments you won't be able to get away uttering such statements without severe consequences, extensive discourse being the mildest. ;)

Although there's some overlap, common ground and applications where one borrows from the other, there is a distinct difference between the 2 sciences and areas of study. High school science does not disclose all there is to know.

In certain environments you won't be able to get away uttering such statements without severe consequences, extensive discourse being the mildest. ;)

Although there's some overlap, common ground and applications where one borrows from the other, there is a distinct difference between the 2 sciences and areas of study. High school science does not disclose all there is to know.

Always love a good pedant.

Brew on :mug:

I pay roughly $25 for a 10lb tank.

I get about 16 kegs on a 10lb which lasts 6 months or so. I force carb them all. I do use some co2 to purge after it's filled and I put some in a tank with the oxiclean soak and fill the beer lines. That's how I clean my beer lines.

Then I fill enough in the keg to rinse the beer lines with hot water.

I can't imagine that I would get another 10 kegs if I didn't rinse beer lines though.

After seeing your post I double checked my numbers and I probably get 23 kegs, still pretty far from your numbers. If you put oxiclean in a full 5gal keg and push it all at serving pressure you are using 1 kegs worth of serving gas. If you do that every keg that is going to add up. Also I did not actually count the numbers of kegs it was estimated from gallon brewed per year and how long the tank lasted so my number could be off.

Back