55 gallon drum tippy dump build NEED ADVICE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LosBarbonesBrewingCo

Reaction score
I made a quick diagram in Photoshop for a tippy dump and wanted to get advice/opinions on it. I'm not an engineer so I don't really know if this is adequate to bear the weight of the drum and mash.

The drum currently has steel rings around it and I plan to have someone weld some flat bar from one ring to the next. To the flat bar I plan on welding some type of round steel tube.

Thanks.

13781864444_6745939166_b.jpg

13781613043_60fa639ca6_z.jpg

Feasibility of welding to the rings depends on the material they are made from. From the picture they look cast. Cast steel can be welded too no problem but cast iron is a giant pain and like to crack right next to the weld. How are those rings attached to the barrel?

For the hinge mechanism you might want to consider using a bearing bronze. I would couple that with a solid steel round stock that is cold rolled.

Otherwise it looks like a decent setup. Have you calculated how full your mashtun is going to be at max capacity?

Feasibility of welding to the rings depends on the material they are made from. From the picture they look cast. Cast steel can be welded too no problem but cast iron is a giant pain and like to crack right next to the weld. How are those rings attached to the barrel?

For the hinge mechanism you might want to consider using a bearing bronze. I would couple that with a solid steel round stock that is cold rolled.

Otherwise it looks like a decent setup. Have you calculated how full your mashtun is going to be at max capacity?

The rings are completely snug inside the drum groove, welded on one end. I would not be able to budge it with a sledgehammer if I chose too.

Are you suggesting that I weld the cold rolled solid steel round stock onto a plate, and then insert the round steel through the bearing bronze? Just wondering how I would then occasionally remove the drum.

Thanks for the input!

Back